Thermostat??

DC_

Hi Gang, just a wee question,

My RRC is now running great due to all the help i got on here and changing a few things with her. Last month i went a run up to loch lomond and all was great. When i was returning i thought i'd stop in for a break and take in some views, just as well i did, steam was coming out from the bonnet. When i inspected it, it was caused by a small hole in the water pipe going from the radiator to the engine at the top. So after letting her cool down and filling her back up with loch lomond water and wrapping the hose up in duck tape, we got under way.

Every 10 minutes i stopped and checked all was ok, i think i put too much water in as there was some escaping from the expansion tank. So after i drained some out to about half way down the tank, off i went again. All seems ok now but finally getting to the question,

When i take her for a good run and then stop, i always check under the bonnet, i have noticed that there is a very small air leaking sound from the expansion tank. I have squeezed the hoses and they seem to have a bit of pressure in them but not rock solid. I was just wondering if this is the norm or do you think my thermostat is playing up?

Sorry to babble on.

DC

Hi,

I´ve asked myself the same question.

After the reassembly of the engine I noticed the top coolant hose felt just the same as you described. The expansion tank has no odd behaviour though, no bubbled or air escaping. I had a Volkswagen to compare and it behaves the same.

I decided not to worry because it is the sping-loaded cap of the expansion tank that keeps the coolant system under pressure. And this pressure is what makes the hose "stiff" when the coolant is hot and the water expanded.

When the engine has completely cooled down after a few hours, the hose is soft again and can be quenched.

You're trying to break it again?????

The system is supposed to pressurise as the water heats up. It expands. The pressure will drop away as it cools down again.

Time to worry is when you either have an unexplained water loss or it starts throwing lots water out of the pressure cap on a regular basis - the latter assumes you haven't overfilled it, in which case consider that the system is giving you a bollocking & chucking out the excess ;)

Conventional expansion tank/radiator caps are marked with the pressure that they will vent at (my RRC is 15psi). They should be regarded as a service item. If faulty (not sealing or spring weak) symptoms are coolant loss and/or overheating. If in doubt - and as yours is making a noise - replace, they are cheap.