Off topic IT help needed

Guest MJG

Sorry for posting off topic but I know there is some good IT expertise in here.

Been trying to sort this for a couple of days now but it now has me stumped.

I have been happily using Norton Internet Security 2005 (with XP Home service pack 2) for a while now with no problems what so ever. Before that I used Norton Anti-Virus 2003 again with no problems.

A couple of days ago my email stopped working and I found myself unable to send and recieve with Outlook. All I get is a time out error as if the email server is not contactable As fas as I am concerned nothing has changed but a call to NTL tech support got me talking to a very nice lady in New Dehli......she could not fathom out what was going on but her colleague this morning suggested disabling Norton which I did and lo and behold all is working again. Now of course Norton is not NTL's problem so he was not able to help with why Norton is doing this.

I have the same problem with any of the email clients installed on my PC these being Outlook, Outlook Express and Agent. Non of these work with Norton enabled but they all work fine with it completely disabled.

I should say that Norton has to be completely disabled for me to be able to send/recieve just disabling email scanning is not sufficient as it still will not send/recieve.

I can of course disable Norton each time I send and recieve but that rather defeats the object of having Internet security stuff installed and it also does not explain why it has been working for weeks and now has fallen over.......

Any help appreciated.

Many thanks.

Martin,

Might be worth trying this forum instead:

TechSpot

This links to the same problem by the sounds of it.

Cheers will do (and looking has already resulted in my discovering it is the fire wall component of Norton Internet Security that is the culprit - turn that off and I can email just fine)

It is obviously something to do with the config of the fire wall I guess.

UPDATE -

In fact yes it is the Fire Wall config. I have now lowered the Fire wall protection to it's lowest level and the email is working again. Still don't understand whay this has happened as I hadn't changed it and it has always been at it's default level and Outlook always worked fine before with the Firewall at it's default level so why it now has to be on it's lowest level is a mystery!!!!!!

As an aside the forum you linked to did also refer to Norton IS 2005 slowing your PC down and this is something I had noticed after upgrading to NIS 2005 from NAV 2003 - mmm.......might be time to move onto one of the freebies refered to..........

Thanks again Peter.

Further update:-

Norton has just 'hung' my PC whilst I was changing some of the other settings in it. CRTL - ALT - DEL would not get me out of the crash so I had to shutdown the PC with it in a hung state.

After the restart and a lot of initial hard disk activity things are exactly as they were a couple of days ago - the Firewall default level has gone back up to medium (I hadn't changed it back!!!!) and Outlook is once agin working fine with the Firewall at this default level.

Clearly something very strage has gone on (Presumably NIS has gone through some sort of config/settings restore after the PC crash and seems at the moment to be working fine.....)

I don't know how the cost of Norton can be justified (I hope you didn't have to pay for it)

There is perfectly good, legal, free, firewall and anti virus protection available for all out on the Internet.

Firewall - http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/cata...d=dbtopnav_zass

AntiVirus - http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5 (bottom of page)

These are reputable, professional companies, who offer their basic products free of charge for non-commercial use, while selling the more advanced versions (which have bells & whistles you might not want or use). As basic firewall & AV, they do very well. The AV offers, real time scanning of files as they enter your PC and support for file attachments in Outlook Express.

Usual disclaimer - I'm just a satisfied custome.........sorry, downloader of these products

STEVE

Another "option" for why the Outlook is not working is that pop -up blockers have been activated. This happened to me last month :angry::o . The Outlook Web Access uses "pop ups" to interact with the messages [open in a new window, reply, forward, open attachments] and if they are blocked nothing works. In my case one of my double agent spyware detectors said to me "we have detected that you do not have pop up blockers enables, this leaves you and your computer vulnerable to nuclear annihilation, would you like us to enable them for you?" to which I rapidly said yes so I could back to reading this forum :lol::D .

Hope this helps, otherwise you can chuck Microstupid and go to Linux [i am trying but not succeeding in susceeding [sp?] from Gates' evil empire].

cheers

John

Another "option" for why the Outlook is not working is that pop -up blockers have been activated.

[sNIP]

and go to Linux [i am trying but not succeeding in susceeding [sp?] from Gates' evil empire].

cheers

[sNIP]

John

Cheers - no this one defo was down to the level of Firewall protection whch has now mysteriously rectified itself.

As for Linux - well I am probably too lazy as I did give this a go a few years ago and just gave up. It was just too much like hard work and required far too much attention and input from me.

It certainly was a vey elegant and stable OS but could I hell get it to work with my Broadband Cable Modem so I had no Internet Access and I could not use my USB ports for any of my Digital Cameras. There was for me therefore no point in sticking with an OS that I couldn't get to work for the main things I use my PC for which is Digital Imaging and web browsing. No doubt someone with a bit more patience and 'Linuxability' could have got this working but I just didn't have the time or the committment to sort it.

On balance I decided to stick with Windows - a decision I did not regret when I subsequently upgraded my PC to a DEll which had XP on - (Much better than Win ME that I was using at the time).

All that said I am again using Firefox for my my web browsing and after all the hassle last week I have reverted to Thunderbird for my email so I am not completely in bed with Bill.

All that said I am again using Firefox for my my web browsing and after all the hassle last week I have reverted to Thunderbird for my email so I am not completely in bed with Bill.

I am using Firefox also [that was some of my issue as OWA will not launch in Mozilla]. Agree about the issues of internet access on Linux which is why I am still running BOTH OS and the Linux [bTW I have SUSE which is a bit more friendly than "raw" Linux] is withering on the vine [never got it set in the wireless network or the DSL].

cheers

John