Isofix

KirstyW

No, the 300Tdi Discos don't have ISOFIX attachment points (the ISO standard came up in 99 although they were struggling from 1990)

But the next generation Discos have them (Discovery II, Td5 or V8). Not 100% sure about the ones from 99 and 00, maybe someone can confirm, but definitely from 2001 they do have them.

Isofix only really got going in 2000. My 2000 Golf Mk 4 had them as did my Saab 9-5 (but Saab fitted them from 99 on).

SWMBO's 98 Polo didn't have them. Both our 53 & 55 current cars have them.

It's extremely unlikely that a pre-2000 Disco will have them (but I haven't checked).

They look like 2 D shaped rings per seat which are located between the seat back and squab. They are out towards the sides of the seat and you can find them by sticking your fingeres in the gap between the back and base of the seat. If you can't find any steel rings then you ain't got them. The rings are about 2" wide and securely welded to the bodywork of the car.

The isofix seats have two arms that extend out the back of the seat base and which clamp onto the D rings via a set of "claws". Once fixed in place the seat is essentially locked in position and you should not be able to wiggle it or pull it away from the main seat. If you can then it's not fixed.

As far as compatability goes, we had some genuine VW ones for the Golf 4 which have also been used in: Honda Jazz, Honda FRV, Vauxhall Meriva, Ford Mondeo, Saab 9-5 and some others without any problems. If you're buying from Halfords or someother big shop then check the fit before you buy.

HTH

My 300tdi doesnt have isofix. Infact I had real problems getting a child seat in the back as the short seat depth and the top of the rear wheel arch is too far forwards for the ones with a 'leg'.

We ended up having to get the rear seatbelt extended to be able to wrap around a infant carrier. The clip part of the seatbelt that attaches to the floor needed to be shortened also to stop 'buckle crunch' as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all (& especially Ralph - how you keeping mate?)

stumbled on this thread whils about to post a similar question. We're expecting No. 3 and I currently have 2 booster seats in the back. I have established that one of the 'clip-base' type of rearward-facing baby-carriers will just fit in the middle, and can be attached with a lap belt (graco seems to be the narrowest) . I'm going to look at the feasibility of modifying the booster seats (and possibly adding some packing underneath to enable them to sit a couple of inches further over onto the wheelarches on each side.

I have had a look some mock-up isofix mountings in a baby seat shop and it looks as though it would be feasible for someone with reasonable engineering skills to make some up

Ian