DIESEL INJECTOR CHECKS

RATRACER

Hi there,

Has anyone got any opinions or advice on when [milage /age] tohave injectors checked? Ihave a 300 tdi disco auto and fuel con. is about 23/25 m.p.g. Slowly working through all major fuel system components to see if we can improve it a little. Any visual checks? My motor has done 66,000 miles and some of that on new veg/diesel at 60/40%.....runs perfect,pulls well but still think mpg. is a little steep. Has anyone had improvements using K&N or similar replacement filters?

best regards and thanks in anticipation..

RATRACER.

Hi there,

Has anyone got any opinions or advice on when [milage /age] tohave injectors checked? Ihave a 300 tdi disco auto and fuel con. is about 23/25 m.p.g. Slowly working through all major fuel system components to see if we can improve it a little. Any visual checks? My motor has done 66,000 miles and some of that on new veg/diesel at 60/40%.....runs perfect,pulls well but still think mpg. is a little steep. Has anyone had improvements using K&N or similar replacement filters?

best regards and thanks in anticipation..

RATRACER.

Depending how heavy your right foot is and what tyres fitted, 25mpg for an auto doesn't sound that far off....

My 300Tdi Defenders only do a whisker over 20mpg most of the time so that is not bad for an auto - however in answer to your question I would think 60k miles is worth having their spray pattern checked, I read somewhere that many modern injectors are past their best by 60k miles, on the other hand I changed the ones in my old 1995 90 300Tdi because like you I thought it could be improved and to be honest it was a waste of money as it made very little difference! As long as they are atomising properly they are not worth changing, and if they aren't then you usually get to know about it either through rough running or a hole in the top of one of the pistons :huh:

I've literally just put a new head and injectors on my 300Tdi.

The combination is smoother and quieter, but she was running very well beforehand and economy was a whisker under 30mpg.

I have the old undamaged injectors which will be on eBay soon (if that's something you wish to consider).