Winches

Hi

I have got a 1998 300TDi 90 and am looking at getting a winch for the front. I have done a bit of research and have worked out that for what i need a 9000lb winch will be adequate. The question that I have got is what winch would you recommend, and where from? There is a local company called PG winches who have quoted me £380 for a Come-Up DV9000, is this a good price or am I paying for the name?

I would like to get a tubular winch bumper to go with it, I have found a few online near around the £260 plus mark but have also found one on eBay that is going for about an average of £170 by the time I include VAT and postage and packing - item number - 150208582991 what are your views on this?

I am looking to spend about £400 to £500. what are your recommendations?

I have also seen some Champion and T-max winches that are a bit cheaper, is it a case of I get what I pay for, or are that just as good as the likes of Come-Up, superwinch and Warn?

Thanks

Tris

Hi

in a word yes... you do get what you pay for, I have a husky on mine but I believe the superwinch ep9 is the the popular choice for the balance between £££ and performance/reliability, dont forget that you may need to add in the cost of upgrading your electrics, batteries, split charger, bigger alternator etc, as well as getting all the other bits like shackles, slings etc.....

Mike

Am quite impressed with the Come-up DS9.5, got one in the tub on my 90.

If line speed is your thing, 1st layer of wire no load speed is 62feet/min spec here.

A stock Warn 8274-50 is 73.4ft/min (spec) so the Comp-up ain't bad in the price / performance stakes.

Try Bowyer or similar for an EP9 or Phil at PG winches both are superb. Bowyer has bumpers as well to suit, not sure on prices.

make sure what ever you get has long enough wiring to get to the battery box under the seat rather than engine bay length.

Get a cut out in there as well.

I have also been thinking about mounting a winch at the rear of my 90. Idealy I dont want to mount it in the rear load space because its a station wagon, so this would mean mounting it between the chassis rails, but I would like to keep the tow hitch. is this possible or am i hoping for to much?

I have also been thinking about mounting a winch at the rear of my 90. Idealy I dont want to mount it in the rear load space because its a station wagon, so this would mean mounting it between the chassis rails, but I would like to keep the tow hitch. is this possible or am i hoping for to much?

LRS equipe4x4 do a rear winch kit, about £330 inc. guards etc. but obvisously not the winch. As for the towbar, I have no personal experiences with this so I cannot comment.

Hi

in a word yes... you do get what you pay for, I have a husky on mine but I believe the superwinch ep9 is the the popular choice for the balance between £££ and performance/reliability, dont forget that you may need to add in the cost of upgrading your electrics, batteries, split charger, bigger alternator etc, as well as getting all the other bits like shackles, slings etc.....

Mike

Is it necessary to upgrade your front springs with a winch - all that weight forward of the front wheels - or is it a nice-to-have?

I have also been thinking about mounting a winch at the rear of my 90. Ideally I dont want to mount it in the rear load space because its a station wagon, so this would mean mounting it between the chassis rails, but I would like to keep the tow hitch. is this possible or am i hoping for to much?

you can still have a tow hitch on a rear winch cross member,we manufacture/fit them ant they are basically a standard cross member only made from 6mm steel with a winch tray between chassis rails.we put the removable type on so that you can remove when not needed,but as with anything like this if you fit it yourself good welding is essential

you can still have a tow hitch on a rear winch cross member,we manufacture/fit them ant they are basically a standard cross member only made from 6mm steel with a winch tray between chassis rails.we put the removable type on so that you can remove when not needed,but as with anything like this if you fit it yourself good welding is essential

How much are the rear winch cross members that you supply?

Tris