Wheel Screach

On my journey to work I had to stop twice and pull over as there was a very loud high pitch screeching noise coming from what sounded to be the drivers side front wheel. After pulling over I had a look underneath with the inspection lamp and nothing was obvious, I thought to start with that one of the brake disc guards was loose but no. I reversed a few yards and then forward again and the noise was gone and off I went for around another 5 miles when it came back again. This time I didn’t bother getting out I just reversed up the parking layby further than previous, again the noise stopped when going forward and never came back for my remaining 15 or so miles to work. This is a 07 defender but as far as the noise is concerned I don’t think that matters between the models, I'm sure it was probably a stone in a disc or something and that it was flicked out after my 2nd reversing attempt but I just want to know if anybody else has experienced the same and found it to be something else?

Cheers Rich.... ;)

This is a well known problem on the transits. It normally happens at roundabouts and T junctions.

It's the sound of all four wheels locking up, while the driver brakes whilst maintaing a call on the phone and drinking a coffee at the same time.

Hope this helps ;);)