Tyres

david1701

I have a jacked up (2") series 3 with stock engine gearbox and axles, i need well mannered (on road) tyres that can give some guns off road. I am unfortunately 17 so new to both on and off road driving hence the tyres will have to cover a multitude of sins and be fairly cheap.

I like the look of the insa turbo's i was planning on taking the colway route but they went into receivership. Are the ST's too aggressive for good road use, i am torn between them and the dakar's. I run 235/85/16's at the moment, will i be ok to put 235/75/16's (or even 70's) on the same rims or will i have to buy new, my rims arent perfect and have seen some abuse (one is vaguely oval) but i would prefer to not have to pay for them right now.

Any help or opinions gratefully received.

David

Hi

235/85/16, 235/75/16 or 235/70/16 will all fit fine but for ground clearance i'd go for the 235/85/16 i run them on my 90, and used to run them on my S3.

Special Track and Dakar are 80% off road 20% on road so for road holding wont be as good as an A.T. but off road will be fine, the S.T. will be better offroad the the dakar i'd have thort.

if you put tubes in the tyres thay should be fine on the rims

i'd say price is the deciding factor.

I'm planning on replacing my tyres with S.T. when my tyres are worn out.

Tim

Given that it's a stock Series and as such is not big on speed, handling or road manners to start with the ST's should be fine as long as you're not driving like an idiot.

If you were driving a V8 Range Rover and towing stuff up and down motorways with it I'd suggest AT's but with your setup MT's will probably give you what you need.