A different suspension question

signia

Saw the other query on suspension and didn't want to hi-jack the thread, so I started my own :)

My disco has a hd front bumber with winch, and rear HD bumper, so it's pulling a bit of extra weight. At the moment, it's on standard springs and shocks and I was thinking of giving it a lift and at the same time, give it some heavy duty springs as the front does look a little low at the moment.

I've seen a number of lift kits available. Looking at +2" with shocks, springs, spring clips, dislocation cones, retaining straps and brake line extensions. They are about 350 quid or there abouts. It's something I'd like to do at some point over the next few months.

What I'm wondering is, with my limited mechanical knowledge, is this possible to do without removing the whole axle - which I really don't think I'm capable of, nor have enough equipment to cope with. My experience to date has been fitting the bumpers, rocksliders, underbody protection, winch etc. But nothing properly mechanical like this.

I was wondering if I was to jack up each corner in turn with the hi-lift and put stands under the chassis, then use a trolley jack to take the weight of the axle on the side I was working on, could I do it a corner at a time? It's almost like causing full articulation at each corner - when the suspension isn't doing all the much, so it shouldn't be too difficult - in my mind :D

Or am I really better off paying someone to do it?

Cheers.

drop any anti roll bars (bout 17mm af bolts iirc)

rear: disconnect shock absorbers, may or may not need to disconnect axle a bar ball joint (30mm spanner) and hi lift it up to your hearts content. both springs should dislocate ready for swapping them out

front: disconnect shockers, undo steering box end of panhard rod (24mm spanner iirc) and jack up as with rear and do the pair at once

that's how i found it easiest anyway

One corner at a time is how most people do it, I did it with two jacks & a pair of axle stands & a crowbar. If you jack the bottom of the axle right up, prop the chassis up, then drop the axle back down with the wheel off so it can really droop down you should be able to do it no problem. I used the second jack a couple of times to jack the bottom of the spring into place, it was easier than using the crowbar :rolleyes:

I'd have a read up on here about the various suspension kits available, I've heard there are issues with some of the cheap ones, they seem to achieve their lift by just using rock-hard springs which may well end up compromising your off-road ability, not improve it, and make it uncomfortable on the road.

thanks for your inputs guys.

I'll check out some different lift kits as you suggest. One I looked at was a britpart kit. OME stuff is a bit expensive, but seems to be rated.

Just need to build up the courage to (a) spend the cash and (B) start taking my land rover apart :D

If I don't do it, I'll never learn though.

One other thing I've just thought of... with a 2" lift, can I put a bigger set of wheels on without any cutting? I don't really want to cut the body/bumpers/rocksliders. I'm on 235/70s at the moment and I know you can go slightly bigger than that with stock ride height, but would the 2" allow anything bigger, or will the bodywork start causing problems?

Thanks for your help.

If you do a search for 'camel cut' you will find out just how little bodywork needs modifying. 235/85 on standard disco steel wheels are fine once you have done it.

Wider tyres will likely catch too - I belive 245/75 are about as big as you can go without cutting - I ran 255/75's for a while with a 2" lift, and still needed a smal chop on the back corner of the wheelarch.

hth

Mark