Disco 2 sticking central locking

plasticbadger

My 1999 Disco 2 started needing an extra push on the key button to get the passenger front door to unlock. Now it wont unlock at all, needing opening from inside. You can hear the solinoid making noise inside the door, but the button doesn't rise.

Before I start tearing apart my very nice truck, does anybody have any ideas? Is it likely to be mechanical, or electrical?

Also the rear door handle sticks in the open possition. Lubricant works for a couple of days, then it sticks again.

All since getting it VERY muddy at Muddy Bottom :(

Rear door handle sticking, prise out the landrover badge oil the handle pivot points and squirt some in the door for good measure, worked on all my discos so far :rolleyes: .

I reckon you will have to remove the front door trim and see whats up before you cant open it at all :huh:

Lynall

I had to strip the drivers door of a Disco the other day to replace a faulty actuating mechanism and window regulator. A new regulator is £97 + VAT - so quite expensive. They can't be taken apart, but there is a rubber cover on the end where the rod exits it and you may be able to squirt WD40 inside it at that point. You can unhook the actuator from the rod (it's mounted on a plate that you can remove), while it's still connected to the wiring and then operate the central locking to see if there is a problem with it. Otherwise - squirt WD40 through the key barrel from inside the door and out, the rod pivots, the handle pivot points and the back of the lock mechanism itself.

To remove the door card -

Remove the 4 x screws that holds the speaker to the door

Lift the speaker and surround out of the recess and unplug the two wires.

Undo the small screw in the cup of the door handle and remove the cup (you'll have to pull the handle to remove it).

Undo the two 10mm head bolts at the top and bottom of the door handle and remove it.

The door card is now held to the door skin by several plastic clips - use a gasket scraper, wide blade screwdriver, or similar, and 'feel' for the location of the clips and then lever them out.

Work right round the door until the card comes loose - pull it out a small amount until it clears the rubber strip at the bottom of the window, and then lift the card up over the lock push button.

The red clips are supposed to stay on the door card, but don't tend to. They break easily and if only one or two do, then it doesn't matter, but too many missing will mean that the door card will be loose and rattle.

When refitting the door card - be careful to make sure that the spike of the clips are in line with the holes. If they are not and you thump the card to locate the clip - you may break the clip or the door card itself.

Les.

Assuming the Disco 2 is the same as a Disco 1 then the central locking solenoids are pretty standard and can be got for about £12 for a 2 wire one and £14 for a 5 wire (drivers door). The wire colours may not be the same but it's easy to work out. I got a couple from this lot :- Abacus Car alarms recently.

Pete.

I have a slightly different problem, the central locking works on all doors, but the lock button on a rear passenger door remains in the down position. It's no real hassle, but if it is an easy fix, I'd like to do it. I'm just reluctant to take off the door trim in case I make a mess of it and damage it.

You can get the proper tool for removing door trim clips. They are basically a slightly curved blade with a 'V' cut in it. You make sure the clip is in the V and then lever. If the door lock mechanism works ok otherwise - it's likely that the rod clip that links it to the rest of the assembly has broken or just come off.

post-2-1201809952_thumb.jpg

Les.

You can get the proper tool for removing door trim clips. They are basically a slightly curved blade with a 'V' cut in it. You make sure the clip is in the V and then lever. If the door lock mechanism works ok otherwise - it's likely that the rod clip that links it to the rest of the assembly has broken or just come off.

post-2-1201809952_thumb.jpg

Les.

Thank you very much, My daughters boyfriend might get me the loan of the tool - I'll have a look at it! Actually, since he's a mechanic, I should ask him to do it.........he's still in training....maybe not :rolleyes: