P38 diesel oil leak / oil usage

v8bobber

Hi all,

I have 1998 RR P38a 80,000 miles. Had it about 7 or 8 months.

When I bought it I changed all the oils and filters and has been running ok since i've had despite a couple of teething troubles.

I month or two ago I noticed an oil leak but was not too bothered about it as it did not seem to be using any oil. However, i've just happened to check the oil while i was changing the diesel filter and noticed that it's gone down from almost exactly "full" to just over half. I suppose i had to put a mug full of oil in it to bring it up to a more sensible level.

I am hope that the engine oil is leaking from the engine and not being burnt.

The oil leak seems to be from the front of the engine, on both sides and the oil the runs down the engine and onto the floor, say around the area of piston number one. It also leaks a bit from the oil filler cap which also runs down the side of the engine and i thought that initially this was the cause of the oil down the side of the engine, but now im not so sure....

I have put my palm over the open filler cap whilst the engine is running and there doesnt seem to be much in the way of crankcase pressure, although the engine was cold when i did this. I seem to remember that I have done this in the past and have not noticed it. I would not expect engine wear at 80K and judging by the condition of the rest of the engine and vehicle the mileage appears to be genuine and the service record was virtually up to date when i bought it.

I am tempted to buy a diesel compression tester kit and establish at least that the engine itself is not worn and in general good fettle.

Anyone had oil leaks on the P38 diesel or have any ideas as to what it might be.

Thanks in advance

Dave

hi there

i had a bad leak on my 99 RR not that long ago - a drip just to the inside of the offside wheel. turned out it was the oil cooler had split and was pumping out oil when the car was being driven and leaking so that when i parked the car it would drip down onto the road. although strippped down the front of the car - took off intercoller, grill etc and left the oil cooler sitting angled down - it never leaked overnight at all - it was then that i figured out it was only coming out when the engine was running. so replaced that and the cooler pipes and it has been fine ever since.

cheers