transmission wind up

calvin

i have just replaced the rear diff on my series 3. when the rear diff broke i removed the rear prop and run on front wheel drive through the transfer box on high ratio 4WD for a bit. Now i have both diffs back on when i try any 4WD the steering wheel pulls all over the place it feels like the transmission is locking up and sounds like it is going to come apart.

is this transmission wind up? if so how do you 'unwind'? if not what could it be?

Are you trying 4wd on a hard surface, if so you will usually get a lot of see sawing of the steering wheel when you try and turn this is normal .

If this is happening after a short distance when driving straight ahead then as previously suggested you need to check your ratios.

Wind up usually is eveident by difficulty in disengaging 4wd HTSH

right, tried reversing, jacking wheels up, and then finally got all 4 wheels off the ground and then tried running it in gear in 4wd. should all 4 wheels have been turning? what i had was the front passenger side and rear driver side spinning and the front driver and rear passenger wheel not moving, it would move if the engine was revved but only a little bit and then stop. tried this in forward and reverse with no difference.

doesnt sound like straight wind up. any ideas? i have free wheeling hubs fitted on the front, what would be the symptoms of one of those staying stuck in free and the other being engaged?

If you try to stop the turning wheel the other wheel on the same axle should start to turn. If it doesn't you've got diff/halfshaft problems on the non-turning side. Additionally on the front axle the FWH may not be engaged.

Lifting all the wheels of the ground will have released any wind-up.

i tried that and nearly took my foot off.

i am starting to think that something nasty has occured with the halfshaft or with the front diff. (there goes another one!) the rear diff when i took it out was a right off, there was chips of different sizes out of the teeth and the some areas where there were no teeth at all. :o i am beginning to wonder if this picture is repeated in the front diff. a job for next weekend i suppose. :(

have just worked out what is wrong after my diff change. All those folks who suggested a ratio mismatch were on the money. I have just counted the teeth on the crown and pinion wheels on the wrecked diff i removed and they are 46 teeth on the crown and 13 on the pinion wheel which works out as a 3.54:1 ratio = Range Rover rather than the 4.7:1 expected of a series. So sometime in the past some kind person has swapped in range rover diffs (probably when it got the diahatsu diesel in). So i just need to swap out the rear diff with an old Range Rover one. Another job for another weekend I suppose.

Thanks to everybodys contributions they all help the old grey matter.

cheers