Cleaning alloy wheels and blackening bumpers

Steph

Hi.

I bought my 03 Freelander GS within the last couple of weeks, and since it's new (to me - not properly new) I am at the excited "I want to keep it clean and looking lovely and shiny" stage.

I've never had a vehicle with alloy wheels before so I'm unsure how to clean them. I've bought some Autoglym "Clean Wheels" but I'm unsure whether it is suitable. It says it should only be used to lacquered alloy wheels and not unlacquered. Are the alloy wheels on the Freelander lacquered?

Also, the plastic "arm" for the rear high level brake light (by the spare wheel) has lost a lot of its blackness. It has faded. Have you got a favourite product for blackening the plastic (brake light arm and bumpers)?

This might sound a bit odd - I was watching a programme on cable TV this afternoon (in which Dominic Littlejohn buys scapped cars and then he and his team of mechanics repair them) and they were discussing how people use silicon sprays to blacken the bumpers and explained how using smooth peanut butter (without the nuts) is better! I don't really fancy doing that - I can imagine having problems with cats, dogs and small children licking the bumpers!

Hi Steph

I know what you mean - the plastic bumpers will also go grey with time.

Personally if I am trying to clean mine back to A1 condition I use:-

Traffic film remover to clean off any residues from driving around - it also removes grease and used fairly concentrated brings alloys up a treat

Then I either use Autoglym resin polish on the paintwork followed by ultra deep shine or Autoglym's new fast wax (which can be used on damp bodywork)

Then I use Autoglym Bumper cleaner on the plastic apply with a sponge - wear rubber gloves - it gets under your nails and is a sod to remove

OR you can use the new fast wax on all the glass (except windscreen!) plastic and black painted parts. It also smells like bubble gum!

This works well for me!

PS If you get hold of some TFR then B careful diluted wrong it will clean well but will strip greases where grease should be and also dissolve the tar from your tarmac drive and all the oils in your skin!

As a quick fix Tyre foam brings them up like new

we have a 98 freelander and the bumpers when we bough it were nearly white (I slated it to get more money off the Dealer :D and to his horror in front of him before we left sprayed the bumpers)

So in 30 sec they look like brand new for about two weeks max before they need doing again.

The gel and wax stuff like above works and gives the same results for much longer is cheaper as it goes much further but take a little more time and effort.

but to give you a idea for a quick fix try tyre foam as it will do the job with no effort at all.

I treat ours about once a month to keep it looking nice ish the wife spends all her time covering it in mud and filling the interior with more mud from the two dogs and general litter

for Rims

if there not looked after from new you have a up hill battle, I tend to keep a eye out at the shows and by them one at a time for as little as £20 each and build up a new set then fit them.

Linseed oil (the stuff you use for polishing furniture or cricket bats) is brilliant for bumpers and mirror casings, etc.

You buff it on with a rag and it lasts months.

Only a coupe of quid per bottle and it has no nasty chemicals.

Cheers

Blippie

Thanks everyone. I'll try out your suggestions and advice.

I'm really loving my new Freelander. It's lovely to drive and I'm determined to look after it (I've been pretty poor at looking after my previous cars) - it's not perfect by any means (every time I look at it I seem to spot more little scratches/scuffs that I hadn't spotted when I bought it - if the sun is shining from a different direction it shows up a whole new set of scratches!) but at least I can try and not let it get any worse.

I was worried about the fuel economy but I've got approximately 33.5 mpg so far with a fair amount of stop-start town driving, so I'm really chuffed. Wish I'd bought one sooner!