Winch

Hey,

I am currently working on which switches I will need with my new mud dash.

I have a Warn Winch XD9000i but it is being serviced and I have no idea how it works and so what switch/switches I will need. It appears to have a remote control with a lock and unlock button. Can this be replaced with a switch?

Many Thanks for any ideas/oppinions.

Peter

Hi Peter

It depends on what you want to do with the winch, do you want the switch in side the cab, on the out side or both.

What I have done is the following

1 x on/off switch which supplies power to a 2 way rocker switch which I use for the in / out movement on the winch, these are on the dash.

I have also wired a remote control unit onto the solenoid for when I am out of the motor

In addition to the above there is a kill switch added between the battery's and the winch, place this as high up as possible as to avoid the S&C getting in. I don't know what the solenoid is like on your winch, but on the 8274 there pants, so I would replace them with an Albrite or equivalent.

Mark.

Hello

On my 90 I have a fitted a winch control plug on the inside of the cab, in the passenger footwell.

This way I can plug in a control unit if wanting to be inside the cab. I have then wired this to a remote control until ariel, and then ran the loom to the solonoid under the right wing. I have also added another plug unit on the front grill in case I wanted to plug in there, and not run my wire from inside the cab. Ideally I use the wireless remote control unit every time, but if this fails then I can always plug in somewhere, inside or out.

On the isolator, I just have some between the batteries and the electrics, so I can isolate the engine / electrics from the winch. I am tempted to add a kill switch to the main winch power too just to be on the safe side. If I was I think this would be best on the outside so you can anyone can hit it in case of emergency.

I hope this helps

I have used a Disco lecky sunroof switch for my internal winch control. It's the same as the window switch only it doesn't have the window decal on it. This is as SMO says a mom/off/mom switch. For a dashboard isolator I have used the isolator switch for Disco rear lecky windows. I also have the original Warn remote that plugs into a socket in the wing top, and two waterproof push buttons in the rad panel for use when putting the cable away. These are all isolated from inside as well as having a battery isolator for the winch.

Wish I had some piccies of my home made TD5 style dash to put on here.