Adventure Tour Transylvania

Paul64

Hello,

Interesting Darien gap thread!

I have received a couple of PM's regarding the possibility of something being arranged in Transylvania.

As a group when were you thinking of coming over?

You guys have been extremely helpful to me over the last couple of years, so it would be my pleasure to host such a trip.

If you are willing to camp then you can use my large garden to pitch tents and park LR's. My land is fenced with large secure double gate at the front. Not that crime is an issue, but some like to know they have this security. I also have a large lockup and workshop you can use for maintenance and running repairs.

Meals can be arranged BBQ style in my garden when weather is good. If not I can arrange at a local restaurant.

If you want you can use my place as a base. You could then arrange trips into the local mountains or deeper into the Carpathians. My village is right of the edge of some seriously wild country with bears, wolves, and wild boar.

Cheers,

Paul.

Thanks for your PM's. If the size of the group becomes unmanageable, why don't we organise two groups so forum members have a choice when to join in.

Winter can be just as much fun, so why not have a winter and a summer trip?

Cheers,

Paul

Thanks for your PM's. If the size of the group becomes unmanageable, why don't we organise two groups so forum members have a choice when to join in.

Winter can be just as much fun, so why not have a winter and a summer trip?

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Our group is now up to 6 vehicles which about as large a group as we find reasonable. We're planning to come in the summer of 2010 as we've other foreign jaunts planned before then. :)

Mo

Hi Paul

Interesting :)

Complete OT, but one of my employee comes for a village about 25 miles form your home !! small world

That is interesting! Which village? He or she should be able to vouch for what a great place it is then!

Hi Paul,

Our group is now up to 6 vehicles which about as large a group as we find reasonable. We're planning to come in the summer of 2010 as we've other foreign jaunts planned before then. :)

Mo

Thanks for settling that Mo,

If anyone else wants to put together a second group then the same budget deal will apply for LR4x4 members only.

Cheers,

Paul

Sounds very interesting!!

Having never done anything like it before it might be good.

Also I should have the landie running relably within 3 years!!!

What sort of duration are we looking at?

One forum group of 6 vehicles has already been put together, which completes their group. However, if you want to get together with other forum members to form a second group then this is the place to be.

Regarding duration, it is a long drive to Transylvania from the UK. Realistically you will need 3 days travel each side of the trip, then whatever activities you wish to do when there. Two weeks would be optimum, maybe even a little longer.

Cheers,

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

It was a very long drive to Transylvania to move all my belongings. Although we got up early we ended up hanging about quite a long time at the local Land Rover dealership for parts. Marius had ordered them late in the afternoon the day before and was amazed to find they had been delivered so promptly. After settling the bill we started our journey at 11.30am.

DSC05436300x225.jpg

Once on the road, white van man appeared in Marius! He was on a mission to get there fast. Ojdula being 1800 km away, that was not going to be easy. I was not insured to drive the van and having sat nav, my main task was to make sure he did not fall asleep. He drove and drove and day turned to night. Our route took us to the south of Germany through Bavaria. Then over the border to Austria, skirting Vienna. Then through Hungary via Budapest, then south to Szeged, crossing the Romanian border at Arad.

Driving and road conditions are tougher in Romania compared to the west and you need to have your wits about you. Once over the border there is a tendency to relax with that feeling you are on the home stretch when in reality this is the toughest part of the trip. Our route took us via Deva, Sibiu, Brasov, then into the county of Covasna and on to Ojdula.

DSC05437300x225.jpg

We only made toilet and drink stops all the way to Romania, then the heavy eyes really started so we pulled in to a garage where Marius had a sleep for a couple of hours. I should have taken a photo of this as Marius had his legs crossed over the steering wheel sleeping bolt upright. I couldn't have imagined a more uncomfortable position if I'd of tried!

DSC05441225x300.jpg

We met Marcus and his his girlfriend Cristina at my place for the big off load, which with 4 pairs of hands did not take that long. We then went to the local guest house for what we had planned to be the mother of all kips, but inevitably ended up in the bar. Bed came 40 hours from the last bed in Germany. Driving time including the two hour stop was 25 hours.

DSC05445300x225.jpg

We even had time to watch the news before moving on to our own rooms. (Thought I would add that before the comments start flooding in!)

DSC05446225x300.jpg

Marius understandably was soon asleep!

A marathon trip then Paul ! Are you in Romania permanently now ?

Mo

Hi Mo,

I have two more weeks in Germany, then back to the UK for two further weeks. So I will have that nice long trip all over again around mid April! The route is quite straightforward and as I have Jasper with me I will take my time getting there over 2-3 days. I will probably camp the first night at Passau in the south of Germany near the border with Austria. Then maybe a slight diversion when I get to Hungary with a stop at Lake Balaton. Jasper will like that, as he really enjoys swimming.

Cheers,

Paul