TD5 Misfire on Cold Start

Phil

Morning, all, my very reliable '02 110 has twice misfired on first starting when the weather's been cold and damp. The problem clears pretty much as soon as the throttle's opened and the vehicle runs normally thereafter. Not a big issue I know, but since it might be a sign something's failing and/or easily fixed I thought I'd ask if anyone can suggest what might be wrong?

Thanks,

Phil.

It is most likely just the misfire caused by the fact LR chose to put four glowplugs in a five cylinder engine, so in cold weather on the first start of the day, they often run like a bag of bolts for the first few seconds until the fifth cylinder catches - basically the engine is running on four cylinders till the heat from the compression strokes is enough to make number 5 ignite without glowplugs. No I don't know why they only fit four glowplugs before you ask...

BM, thanks, that would certainly account for it; how odd to have one fewer glowplug than cylinders! Still, it sounds like it's just a 'feature' which puts my mind at rest. 'Bag of bolts' is certainly the right description......

Thanks,

Phil.

It is most likely just the misfire caused by the fact LR chose to put four glowplugs in a five cylinder engine, so in cold weather on the first start of the day, they often run like a bag of bolts for the first few seconds until the fifth cylinder catches - basically the engine is running on four cylinders till the heat from the compression strokes is enough to make number 5 ignite without glowplugs. No I don't know why they only fit four glowplugs before you ask...

My old Td5 used to "roar" for the first 30 yds on a cold day. It was a completely different induction noise and sounded like I'd suddenly inherited a V8 (no bad thing).

It used to disappear by the time I'd got to 2nd gear.

I wondered whether this was related to it being one glow plug short of a set but it acually sounded smoother! I guess it was completely unrelated.

Guest diesel_jim
My old Td5 used to "roar" for the first 30 yds on a cold day. It was a completely different induction noise and sounded like I'd suddenly inherited a V8 (no bad thing).

It used to disappear by the time I'd got to 2nd gear.

I wondered whether this was related to it being one glow plug short of a set but it acually sounded smoother! I guess it was completely unrelated.

mine did too.... it sounded like the viscous fan was being powered.

mine did too.... it sounded like the viscous fan was being powered.

That is exactly what it was. The viscous fans on Td5s take a while to "unstick" if they have been sitting for a while. If it lasts for more than about 30sec there is something wrong with it, and they do seize completely so they make a hell of a noise all the time, sap the engine power and waste lots of fuel. On the plus side it sounds somewhere between a 500hp V8 and an angry meat-eating dinosaur when you give it some beans B)

As long as it goes away in 30 or less seconds then it is ok, the reason for no 5 cylinder not having a glo plug is because of to fuel pressure regulator sitting at no 5 cylinder. Just for my own interist what does cold mean Phil in celcius please because where I live cold is 18deg celcius.

I've noticed the misfire when the temperature's dropped to around minus 6C or below, and it's been damp. On both occasions it's cleared as soon as I've touched the throttle and the engine thereafter runs smoothly.

Cheers,

Phil.

That is exactly what it was. The viscous fans on Td5s take a while to "unstick" if they have been sitting for a while. If it lasts for more than about 30sec there is something wrong with it, and they do seize completely so they make a hell of a noise all the time, sap the engine power and waste lots of fuel. On the plus side it sounds somewhere between a 500hp V8 and an angry meat-eating dinosaur when you give it some beans B)

Well b*gger me - of course! I didn't consider the viscous fan but obvious now you mention it.

And there was me thinking I might actually have 500 horses at startup ;)