Questions about '72 Range Rover front coil springs and shocks

willfromsussex

few questions (sorry, been asking a few of those recently!)

Are the front and rear springs the same length? and/or same poundage?

Just took the front springs out of my vehicle, they were not taking the weight of the cast iron six pot too well, the wire diameter seems to be 13.8mm. Found a pair of springs here which look the same but are 14.1mm and this seems to give the car abouit half an inch more height once installed, anyone know what the wire diameter of standard springs is, or an example of diameters of uprated springs ? And differences between front and rear etc

The springs from the engine donor vehicle are made from 16mm wire but they are too short to use on Range Rover chassis. (although I could make a block to boost it up as an option)

Also, front shocks I have are blue, and have a paper label on them with the number P7964 , anyone know if these are standard or uprated or what make they are etc?

Thanks!

Front and rear springs will be different lengths and different rates too. In addition, the front springs are different length left and right too!!

Diameters are the same front and rear.

Plenty of boingy info in the tech archive..... ;)

Thanks , handy link! Tried another pair of rangie springs that I had forgotten about, they are both 14 3/4 inches but one is 16mm wire, (yellow stripe) the other is 15mm (yellow and blue stripes) I think I need longer and/or heavier ones. Car is sitting a bit low and theres a lot of parts still to be fitted to the car before it is an normal weight . (main bodyshell, batteries, bonnet , rad, bumper etc.

This new power plant is HEAV-EEE Cast iron block, head, and gearbox casing. Ooof