Gear box stuck

hattymender

Need to swap clutch fork. Props off, gear box mounts off, all (?) bellhousing nuts undone, jacks in place and ....nothing! Just won't come apart. Absolutely solid. Is there a sneaky stud somewhere I've missed? This is an LT77 onto a 2.5 Petrol.

Where do I hit it?

Rich

I assume you have a jack under the gearbox? If you lower it a small amount and then push the gearbox up and down it usually comes away eventually. There's not any place where you can apply any leverage - the two are a machined fit. You could possibly put a bit of wood through the slave cylider or starter motor hole and give it a wallop, but there's not a lot of room to swing a hammer.

Les.

I had much the same when I changed the gearbox in my Tdi90. Once I removed all the nuts from the bellhousing it got much easier. Rather than looking at the nuts, run your fingers round and see which one still has a nut on. IIRC mine was still on one of the studs by the starter...

Chris

I assume you have a jack under the gearbox? If you lower it a small amount and then push the gearbox up and down it usually comes away eventually. There's not any place where you can apply any leverage - the two are a machined fit. You could possibly put a bit of wood through the slave cylider or starter motor hole and give it a wallop, but there's not a lot of room to swing a hammer.

Les.

Three jacks under box (coward). One under sump. Satrter motor? Have I dropped off? I thought this was just on engine side so it's still in place.

Three jacks under box (coward). One under sump. Satrter motor? Have I dropped off? I thought this was just on engine side so it's still in place.

No need to remove the starter. Clutch slave has to come out though.

Make sure all the nuts are off the studs (a lot easier to get to if you take out the transmission tunnel, the floor plates and the fillet section under the fusebox in the cab).

Personally, I sling the gearbox off an engine crane in through the passenger door rather than having it on jacks (obviously you still need one under the engine) - I get more leverage that way and find it safer.

It'll be tight though - as you've found - so you'll have to be brutal.

Matt

Sorted by experience. My dad called by. I explained the problem. He took one look, put a tommy bar on the boss infront of the main gear lever a hammer head between that and one of the studs and gave it a big heave. Parted like the red sea. Went off to pinch some buns his granddaughters were cooking without a word, but a withering look. Leaving me feeling 10 years old again..................

Thanks for the help though. I was getting paranoid that I'd missed a bolt.

Rich

Sorted by experience. My dad called by. I explained the problem. He took one look, put a tommy bar on the boss infront of the main gear lever a hammer head between that and one of the studs and gave it a big heave. Parted like the red sea. Went off to pinch some buns his granddaughters were cooking without a word, but a withering look. Leaving me feeling 10 years old again..................

Thanks for the help though. I was getting paranoid that I'd missed a bolt.

Rich

Nice one Dad. Just as I would do.....

mike

At forty something and an experienced aerospace engineer you don't need your dad making you feel a muppet. But he's got 50+ years of experience with engines of all sizes (regards Land Rovers as 'little toys') and has that priceless knack of knowing where to hit or leaver. I'm bloody glad he popped by.

Scoffed all the bloody buns though.............................