Over Heating Disco

sidley

Hi guys, im new to the forum and new to land rover's

i have 200 TDI disco When im driving round town ect its brilliant but when i up the speed on a long journey the temp goes up, Thre are no signs of the head gasket gone and the oil & water are fine, I have been off roading in it and cleaned the outside of the radiator with a hose to get mud off ect,

Do any of you guys have any ideas

Cheers

Make sure the radiator core is clear - hosing it through from just the outside generally isn't enough. Shine a light through from the inside and you should be able to see it from the outside if the core is clear. Corners and opposite the intercooler are well-known for staying blocked. Check the viscous fan is ok too - if it's weak it won't spin fast enough at higher revs.

Les.

i have 200 TDI disco When im driving round town ect its brilliant but when i up the speed on a long journey the temp goes up, Thre are no signs of the head gasket gone and the oil & water are fine, I have been off roading in it and cleaned the outside of the radiator with a hose to get mud off ect,

Cheers

Are we talking about going from 1/4 to 1 degree over half way ?

Or are we talking about getting to the red ?

I had a problem where by my Discovery would go into the Red when towing and upto 3/4 when doing more than 50mph. I removed the front grill and had a look a the core and most of the bottom third was missing (! :) ) A replacement from Pad/Crad..docks was about £100 delivered and has completely transformed the cooling; as you'd expect.

HTH

Are we talking about going from 1/4 to 1 degree over half way ?

Or are we talking about getting to the red ?

I did a short journey of about 13 miles on the motorway and it went between 1/2 and 3/4 When im running around town it normally sits about 1/4

Choice of the above, either the radiator is partially blocked or else the thermostat is stuck. I would suspect the radiator though, first off from what you have said.

Remove top and bottom hoses, better still, remove radiator. Flush through rad with a hose, also flush through the engine block and refill with standard water / antifreeze mixture. If the radiator is terminally blocked then you might be better replacing it altogether.

While you're at it take the thermostat and replace it with a new one (88°C for a 300 tdi) cost about a fiver.

Cheers

The Rad is very easy to check. If this doesn't work then the stat is likely.

You can check the stat by putting it in a pan on the hob. Check the pan water temp with a thermometer. For a 200tdi it should open at 88 degrees.

Another problem i discovered recently is that the stats sometimes don't alow the hot water to get to them. Thus causing the engine temp to get too hot before the stat starts to open. To rectify this i removed the brass thingy thats on the stat face. See .. http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=22976&hl=

Just like mine, it was down to partly blocked waterways in rad and degraded fins on the outside, the water circulated but did not get cooled as both sides of the rad were the same temperature. The outside edge of the fins looked good but close inspection showed that between the cores there was nothing. If its the original rad change it.