Lights

My Defender was (supposedly) at one time part of the British military. I have a 6 position light knob in the center of the dashboard. Up is "OFF."; one notch left is "T.", two notches left is "S.T.", Three notches left is "H.S.T." One notch right is "S.CONV." and two notches right is "CONV." I would like to wire the control to it's intended sequence. Currently "H.S.T." is everything on, "S.T." is fog lights and instrument lights, "T." is instrument lights only. "S.CONV." is everything off and "CONV." is instrument lights only. What is the proper sequence? (Or is this actually a normal feature?) Thank you.

OFF is off... ;)

T - tail lights

ST - side (park front) and tail lights

HST - head, side and tail lights

S.CONV - side and convoy light (the light shining on the white painted rear diff pan)

CONV - diff light only (and shouldn't be instrument lights)

The whole thing has been explained to me like this:

When in a convoy, the first vehicle has S.CONV on. Vehicles in the convoy has CONV on and the last vehicle has T.

Did that make you any wiser? :)

Guest diesel_jim

^^^ What he said....

here's the diagrams for the 2.5 diesel 90/110 military rover. you can see the 6 way switch in there. virtually the same wiring as the series3 models as well (the 6 way light bit, that is)

post-130-1203926270_thumb.jpg

post-130-1203926278_thumb.jpg

Guest diesel_jim
As above ^ ^ ^

Also note that in the CONV position the headlight flash, horn, hazzards, brake lights are disabled.

Not sure if the same is true with the switch in the S, CONV position as well?

yes, in "C" or "S" then nothing else should work.

The horn,hazards and headlight "flash" are powered directly from the switch (so that they'd also work with the ignition "off", as per a civvy vehicle) but the indicators and brake lights, items that usually require the ignition to be on, are fed from the ignition via a relay through the N/C (normally closed) contacts. when you turn the convoy switch to "S" or "C" the relay is energised, and the contacts open, stopping the power getting to said items.

Thank you so much, I couldn't have asked for a better description. Also answered another quandary; I noticed the rear diff light (who's wire is cut) and thought, "hmmm, funny place for a light." Was it designed for another purpose such as night time maintenance?

P.S. I'm a Yank and new to Land Rovers, so with those two combined I will go ahead and apologize for any ridiculous questions.

Cheers

The light is not there for maintenance, it's there to enable the driver behind in the convoy to see that there is a vehicle in front of him when driving in the dark. All other lights are off making the convoy harder to spot by the bad guys.

Might have worked several years ago, but in today's hi-tech world with night vision goggles and stuff... :rolleyes:

Well, stupid questions are quite OK here. :P:D