Range Rover Forum

sheltie50

In the process of fitting a 200tdi into 1983 Rangy, I have read that the input shaft lenght on the long lever lt77 is different, donor is 1993 Disco,

Any clues. :(

where did the long lever box come from? i thought they only fitted on defenders?

My best advice would be to ask Ashcroft tensmissions, very helpful.

It's 1983 5 gear long lever and is as made, exept for several years abuse, I've owned it for 15 years but find the cost of running a V8 too high so am changing the V8 for a 200 Tdi, just not sure if I should fit the Disco short lever box or if my long lever box can fit or if the input shafts are the same.

All is not lost though, the V8 is going into my MGB V8.

sheltie. Just done thia very conversion to my own V8 RR that also had a long stick LT77. best option was to use the Disco box as bell housing allows for the correct location of most things. I found it best to bolt it all together and drop it in all in one go. I used the RR gearbox mounts and fixed the gearbox in place, this places the fearlever in a very nice position. Then just lower the engine and weld the disco engine mounts in place. The TDi will sit about 10 mm below the bulhead and about 15mm above the steering box. Suggest you use the 4 bolt steering box as the threads are then the same off the PS pump and use the rear prop off the disco as the RR will be too short. Makes for a fantastic change to my truck and having just done a 4 day event with it I can vouch for the useful low torque, it was amazing on tickover and no more fettling the throttle and clutch. The inside should have a large cast ali plate on top of your tunnel and this just needs a trim at the back to make it fit, I then made a new centre consol and used the gaters off the disco. Fits lovely. If you wish to come and take a look then please do as I only finished it 10 days ago the brain cells have not yet had the chance to go elswhere so its all very fresh. I'm in north Somerset near weston super mare. Simon

Thanks Simon, progress is a bit slow due to my location, waiting cam belt etc, I would be delighted to see how you did your conversion but alas I am in the Shetland Islands, just about as far away from you as I could be and still be in the UK, which exhaust did you fit and did you retain the petrol tank, if so any bad effects due to lack of swirl chamber.