Bigger Altenator

Hi guys. I've got alot of electric bits and bobs running on my 90. Its got a standard 200TDi altenator running but it cant keep up with all the lights, electric fan, heater, radio equipment etc. I was looking on ebay and there seem to be alot of much more powerful altenators that look like they would probably fit from other Landrovers and other makes of cars..

Is there any problem with putting a 100, 150, 200 amp altenator on to my vehicle or would it cuase problems rather than do what I want and just charge the batteries (split charge) enough. On that note. The aux battery never seems to be charged enough and wont even run the computer all night without running out of power..

Guest diesel_jim

And make sure that you fit a beefier cable from the alternator back to the battery (or to the starter terminal where the exsting cable goes...although direct to the battery would be better)

if you're planning to fit 120amps or bigger, i'd go for 35mm2 cable, plenty big enough to handle that sort of current.

Thanks for that. I'm not sure why he used a mondeo altenator instead one of the many others that are compatible without modification to the Landrover engines. He could have just used the old pully and saved himself a headach

I'm going to go ahead and get one around 150amps and upgrade the wireing.

Cheers guys.

I'm not sure why he used a mondeo altenator instead one of the many others that are compatible without modification to the Landrover engines. He could have just used the old pully and saved himself a headach

Price, availability, the challenge, convenience....why not??!!

All play a big part in the choice of such things. A Mondeo alternator is cheap as chips from a scrap yard...