gear lever

trainspotter

The gear lever has gone a bit slack.

In as much as there is no spring pressure as you push it over to the left to seek reverse. So when you take it out of reverse it just comes out and is not pushing the lever back to line up with first gear.

Is this a simple job in just removing a spring and bolting a new one in?

The vehicle is a Disco 200 tdi

Any help would be appreciated

Trainspotter

The gear lever has gone a bit slack.

In as much as there is no spring pressure as you push it over to the left to seek reverse. So when you take it out of reverse it just comes out and is not pushing the lever back to line up with first gear.

Is this a simple job in just removing a spring and bolting a new one in?

The vehicle is a Disco 200 tdi

Any help would be appreciated

Trainspotter

from the FAQ's on my web site :

When driving my 200 Tdi Discovery\Range Rover the gearstick has suddenly become very vague and is flapping side to side. Why?

Inside the aluminium top cover of the gearbox, which is secured by two large Phillips head screws, you will find two large springs which rest on a L shape steel plate which give your 3\4th bias gate position. This L shaped plate is very prone to cracking off where it is bent which will result in you losing the 3\4th rest position when in neutral and thus the shifts will become vague. This plate is inexpensive and can be changed with gearbox in situ. Part number is FRC9340.

I was wondering that Dave but he says no spring pressure out of reverse - is there not an additional spring for reverse on an LT77, that pops the lever into the 1/2 plane? (apart from the main bias springs I mean)

I didn't reply because my experience of gear selectors falling to bits is limited to the bit you describe so I probably don't know what I am talking about :)

I was wondering that Dave but he says no spring pressure out of reverse - is there not an additional spring for reverse on an LT77, that pops the lever into the 1/2 plane? (apart from the main bias springs I mean)

I didn't reply because my experience of gear selectors falling to bits is limited to the bit you describe so I probably don't know what I am talking about :)

see what you mean when I read it properly !

Yes it should be pushed to the 1/2 plane by the reverse plunger and then from the 1/2 to the 3/4 by the bias springs, they usually rest at the 1/2 plane when the plate breaks as the RH spring is stronger.

The plungers can also jam in but unlikly to have both faults at once,

Did you sort it out 'Trainspotter' ?