?Loose rear wheel

I have the most bizzare 'clunk/clonk' from the rear of the vehicle mostly during slight deceleration/braking/ changing gear. It is intermittant too! (it sounds like someone has left a marble in the rear light cluster box)

Tonight I tried to investage by getting hold of stuff and giving it a bloody good shake! I noted some 'play' in the n/s rear wheel and associated with a clonk (may not be the same one!) The play is with two hands on top of the wheel and push/pulling with a bit of verosity. I tried the otherside and there is no play, but obviously, the lateral movement of the vehicle affects the otherside, so i can "feel" the slack (?) on the n/s wheel through the o/s wheel.

I removed the road wheel just for access and the cap covering the halfshaft. The halfshaft cap had oil in (which I know it shouldnt have? should it?), and the circlip was inplace.

As I need the vehicle for tomorrow I decided not to disassemble everything, but could this free play (if indeed this is abnormal) from a loose locknut on the halfshaft? Is the locknut the only thing that stops the hub coming off?

Its a 1989 model with rear drum brakes if that helps.

I'm just trying to prepare myself here!!

I have the most bizzare 'clunk/clonk' from the rear of the vehicle mostly during slight deceleration/braking/ changing gear. It is intermittant too! (it sounds like someone has left a marble in the rear light cluster box)

Tonight I tried to investage by getting hold of stuff and giving it a bloody good shake! I noted some 'play' in the n/s rear wheel and associated with a clonk (may not be the same one!) The play is with two hands on top of the wheel and push/pulling with a bit of verosity. I tried the otherside and there is no play, but obviously, the lateral movement of the vehicle affects the otherside, so i can "feel" the slack (?) on the n/s wheel through the o/s wheel.

I removed the road wheel just for access and the cap covering the halfshaft. The halfshaft cap had oil in (which I know it shouldnt have? should it?), and the circlip was inplace.

As I need the vehicle for tomorrow I decided not to disassemble everything, but could this free play (if indeed this is abnormal) from a loose locknut on the halfshaft? Is the locknut the only thing that stops the hub coming off?

Its a 1989 model with rear drum brakes if that helps.

I'm just trying to prepare myself here!!

That movement you describe is play in the wheel bearings.

The halfshaft does no more than transmit a turning force from the diff to the hub - the locknuts on the wheel bearing hold the hub in place.

The bearings can be adjusted - although it's easier to show you than describe it.

1. Remove the rubber halfshaft hub cap

2. Remove circlip on the end of the halfshaft

3. Remove the 5 bolts holding the Drive member to the hub

4. Remove the drive member

5. Clean up the old / grease and you'll see the exposed hub nut (offhand I don't recall the size - about 50mm I think)

NB - There are two nuts, a hub nut and a locknut, both identical which together sandwich a locking tab washer - bend back the tabs, undo and remove the locknut. Remove the tab washer and you acn now adjust the hub nut. Once adjusted, refitting is the reverse of removal (as they say in the manuals!)

If you've not got one, go out and buy a workshop manual now! - the Haynes is ok for basic jobs and it's got some pics in there. Failing that have a look HERE - the 300Tdi Defender manual is there available for download, and whilst not specifically applicable to your vehicle, the principles are the same and there are diagrams.

I'd strongly advise that you get someone who knows what they are doing to go through it with you as although you may be able to adjust up the slack, getting it too tight is as bad as having the bearings too loose, and you do not want to risk a wheel bearing failure.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Don't worry about the oil in the cap - all it means is that the seal from the diff to the hub has gone. Series vehicles didn't have a seal there anyway. Removing and replacing a half-shaft will normally stuff the seal in any case. I know people who do this deliberately to improve the lubrication of the wheel bearings. If the other seal goes you get oil on the brakes and you have to fix it. But personally I prefer EP90 to grease any day and I think my wheel bearings will agree with me. Hang about while I pop out to the garage and ask them :rolleyes:

Edited by JimAttrill