Which toughbook?

Hendrik

As the $ value is positive against the €, I'm thinking of buying a Panasonic Toughbook in the USA.

But still I'm not sure what to choose, the CF 30 (with the fixed screen and CD/DVD reader/writer) or the CF 19 which hasn't got a cd/dvd reader (you can still use a USB one) but you can use him as a "tablet" which can be pretty usefull in the truck!

I will use the toughbook mostly as navigation "tool" in the truck with Ozi Explorer, but also to run megatune, megalogviewer, etc

Thx

H.

Hi H , I

I have the CF19's predesesor, the CF18, and use it both in the vehicle as well as on the boat, Even with hindsight, would chose the same,, the lack of CD drive has never been a problem, once all programs have been loaded !!

The CF30 looks like a proper hard one, the smaller ones are still very hardy but not as strong as the old-style toughbooks. I used to have a CF27 through work which you could bang nails in with, then we got CF18's and they're not as tough. Probably still OK, waterproof etc., but not as tough.

Saying that the tablet function of the CF18 is quite handy if you want to use it in-car as a tablet then pull it out and use it as a normal PC. The screen is quite small though, which can make stuff a bit hard to read - the resolution's OK it's just small.

I've got a CF-18 and wouldn't hesitate buying another one, i have the very very last ones produced with better processor and more ram, much like the CF-19 that replaced it.

On a not of "toughness", at work we have rolled out hundreds of CF-19's to operations staff, bear in mind its a water company and most operations staff work on sewage treatment works - you can imagine the sh*t the toughbooks have to put up with!!!

H,

Mine was ordered with a built in GPS receiver, amongst other things etc,

However a cock-up on the model number meant it came without, but after a part refund, it was not a big problem to connect it to a external GPS receiver via Blue tooth !!

It now runs 3 mapping/charting programs simultaneously, with position fixing via Blue tooth