Engine weights

hattymender

I know somewhere somebody posted engine weights, I've seen it, but I can't find it now. Done a search. Honest.

How much does a 2.5 pertol and a V8 weigh?

And another thing. Machine Mart do a 1000kg crane for £152. They also do a 500kg crane for (guess what) £152. Why buy the 500kg one?

Rich

Without looking at those examples, with cranes in general you are buying the ability to withstand a moment, not a force. So proper cranes are rated in (distance x mass) terms, like tonne metres.

Just looking at the weight supported doesn't tell you much without knowing how long the arm is at that weight.

It could be that you'll be able to support half a tonne at a much longer extension with the 500kg model, which is very useful. The 'rating' (in very carp terms) isn't enough to go on. That is why cranes of different max load can be similar prices. One could have high max load but short range, the other could be built to support less load at a longer reach.

Anyway, a quarter tonne is enough for both those engines. Which is probably the longest reach setting they have.

Al.

:)

I know somewhere somebody posted engine weights, I've seen it, but I can't find it now. Done a search. Honest.

How much does a 2.5 pertol and a V8 weigh?

And another thing. Machine Mart do a 1000kg crane for £152. They also do a 500kg crane for (guess what) £152. Why buy the 500kg one?

Rich

A V8 weighs in at about 200-250kg. 2.5 Petrol weighs about 100-150kg

My V12 engine and auto box weighs in at 450kg! Great I can use the 1000kg crane.....NOT........... don't forget the 1000kg is on its lowest setting (the arm set far in) and to be honest its useless....... if its the same one I have its 250kg at the arm fully extended, but that should still lift both 2.5 Petrol & V8 easily.

A V8 weighs in at about 200-250kg. 2.5 Petrol weighs about 100-150kg

My V12 engine and auto box weighs in at 450kg! Great I can use the 1000kg crane.....NOT........... don't forget the 1000kg is on its lowest setting (the arm set far in) and to be honest its useless....... if its the same one I have its 250kg at the arm fully extended, but that should still lift both 2.5 Petrol & V8 easily.

150kg sounds light for a 2.5 cast iron lump????????