Ooops... what a mistake-a to make-a!

v8bertha

great stuff guys :hysterical:

Replaced the power steering box with help from Virtual Uncle Les. :rtfm:

Old box off and new box on without problems. Filled with ATF. Started it up, wound the steering from lock to lock.

Then as per instructions, opened the bleed screw on top of the box.

Got in, started up the truck again and turned the wheel - nothing, no movement.

Hmm, that's odd, I'll try a little harder - just groaning from the pump.

As the open bonnet was obscuring my view, I got out of the truck and pulled on the wheel while peering round to see what was going on in the engine bay, where I was greeted by a fountain of ATF hitting the underside of the bonnet and the front of the house I was parked next to.

Les, if ever our paths should cross...

Apart from completely failing to miss a rather large white Discovery <_< I think I've been lucky. And I'm not really allowed to take the Mick out of Dan or is much better half just in case I need them for something :ph34r:

Most of mine are from my old light weight.

Me and a mate working at 2am on a S111 gearbox as my LW had V8 in so busted gearbox's were common.

we had two boxes on the floor both with issues but a new lay shaft and ready to go to built a good one.

my mate was a plant fitter and helping moved onto taking over and another mate had turned up to help so I moved on to replacing the clutch.

as my mate is checking the completed box on the bench "says all done" I climb out from under the truck walked up to the bench and my other mate picked up a gear off the bench and asked said whats this, my replay was "that's reverse"

all I could do was laugh

and the number of times I have forgotten to check I've fitted the thrust washer before I've finished the bell housing bolts and don't mention spigot bush I must have removed and forgotten to refit new three or four times

Guest diesel_jim

I fitted a brand new PAS pump onto a Tdi engine that i was building up in the garage (to go into my rebuilt 90 last year)

it looked really nice and neat. dropped the engine in, got everything going but no PAS. it was very lumpy and horrible, and kept blowing the fluid out of the reservoir (i'd bought the pump from M&D at Billing a few years back, so was cursing them muchly)

eventually got hold of another old pump to swap over, when i removed the new one, i then pulled out the rubber bung from one of the pipes.....

(the bung that keeps carp out of a new pump whilst it's in storage.... it also keeps oil out too.... :blink::blink: )

:lol: This thread makes for great reading B)

Can't really add anything yet, but give me time :rolleyes:;)

And I'm not really allowed to take the Mick out of Dan or is much better half just in case I need them for something

Doesn't stop everyone else! ;):lol: Thanks for the sponsorship Ryan, you're a star! :i-m_so_happy:

Another one - I had to replace the drivers side floor pan on an old mini. I got the angle grinder and cut the old floor out - straight through the wiring to the rear, fuel pipe, and brake hose. Lucky I didn't blow myself up !

Les.

You were lucky Les! My mate's brother in law Richard did a similar thing and the explosion made a mess of the car and also set fire to his house! :o:(

Richard himself was only slightly burned! However he had a two year battle with the house insurers as they initially refused to pay up saying his house & garage was being used as a business as it was his mates car he was welding!

Steve