milemarker set-up

m&mv80

ok to sum things up a bit, after my last post ive uprated from 3/8 to half inch spool valve and half inch pipe work as recommended by a few of you guys on here and thats sorted the excessive pressure problem so thank you all very much, right now i need to set my prv, whats the best method for doing this and how did you do it? also if i remember correctly bullbar cowboy said my ocv should have been pre set by alfred murray, how do i check this has been done and is working correctly?

cant wait to go and try it out now :D

OK ………….. to set the PRV first lock your MM into both hi & lo gear at the same time …….. this locks up the gearbox…………

Just quickly operate the winch control and note the pressure reading ………… adjust the PRV to get a pressure reading of 1750psi to be safe B) …… 2000psi is OK and about as much as you should go ;) …………… 2300psi is the absolute limit ………….. :blink:

Just remember to be quick when doing the adjusting and checking.

With the OCV you have, there should be zero pressure on winch in with no load (maybe 100psi or so) …………. and a good steady 400 – 600 psi on winch out with no load………..the adjuster is in the top of the OCV …………. adjust it on winch out with no load to the above pressure……. but is should have been readjusted.

:)

Ian

If you lock the high and low together you risk bending the 3 drive pins in the gearbox(dont ask how I know this!!!), a

IMHO the best way to set the PRV is to get a tee piece to fit the flow pipe from your spool block, fit a presure gauge to the side branch of the tee and then a needle valve and tank return pipe to the 3rd port of the tee. With the needle valve open operate the spool and the oil flows back to the tank, slowly close the needle valve and the presure will rise to the piont that the PRV is set at with no shock loadings on the system and a lot safer.

I have never seen the pins bend, but I have seen the motor casing crack through too much pressure ………… :blink:

Ian

I didnt know the pins bent untill it happened at Ladoga last year, without new ones it took Paul McLeary about 3 hours to file out the holes to let the plate slide again!

post-3984-1204617305_thumb.jpg

I am surprised the pins bent as they are reasonably substantial ............I guess you must be using a solenoid and that may have been shock loading ?

Mine is operated via a spool (beside the drivers seat) to avoid shock loads and to provide a little extra fine control. however, I tend to use the throttle as the fine control, although the spool has been useful on more then a few occasions...........

Ian

On the Topic Spool Valves and Solenoids does anybody know what Control Valves Come with theType R Version, the description on the website describes them as "The winch is controlled using a time-tuned, soft-start 4 port control valve, with an integral pressure relief safety valve, preset at 200 bar"

I would like to see if they do a version that is Twin Bank so I can control front & rear with one Valve block and the soft start seems a very good idea.

Lyndon C

thanks chaps,

ill have a go at adjusting the prv at the weekend, looks like the ocv is set correcty then as im getting the exact same pressures as you have listed when off load, at last it looks like i might be getting somewhere, just got to go and get stuck now :D

regards

martin