collapsed air spring?

petrolhead63

went out this morning and rear drivers side was right down on my TD5, so wife took other car in a hurry. I pumped it up on lift supension and it has levelled off at the moment.

Am I right in saying the air spring is clapped or is it one of thse little quirks that sometimes they collapse overnight? in which case ignore it!

I guess it needs a new air bag, probably 2 on basis the other probably is not far behind!

You're almost certainly correct to say that the air spring is 'clapped'. Pump it up to the maximum off-road height and spray it with soapy water to see if you can spot the leak - usually where the bag folds over itself as it gets lower.

Replace both at once as well. If one is leaking and they have been on there

just as long as each other, you might as well do it once.

Rather than have to replace the other one soon after.

Also if you leave it too long you will be working the compressor overtime by keeping

it inflated with a leak. Next would then be a new compressor.

Do it right, do it once.

It's worth checking the condition before spending cash on parts though. Quite often, they fail because a bit of grit or similar has become trapped in the fold of the bag and worn a hole through. It doesn't necessarily follow that the same will have happened to the other side, though. It's a bit like suggesting that both tyres on an axle should be replaced because you've got a punction in one.

What follows from this, of course, is that it's advisable to raise the suspension every now and again and give the bags a clean - particularly if the vehicle is never, or very rarely, used in this mode.

Had mine up the other day and on the base piston there was a rubbery build up with all dirt stuck to it, cleaned it all off luckily no damage or wear to the airbag.

As for the puncture comment i think in Germany that is the law and thats where all the part worn tyres come from.

Lynall