oil levels

Badger_1

Having just bought my freelander I would like to check the oil levels in the IRD, Final Drive, & Gearbox.

I will heve to lie under the car with it jacked up to do this and bearing in mind they may all use different oils that I will need to buy would it be cheaper to take it to a Landrover agents to get them topped up?

• 4 weeks later...

Couldn't agree more.

You can easily check levels BUT be careful you can't check the levels with the car jacked up at one end - you have to check them with the car level either off the ground (ie on stands and level) or better over a pit or if you have the luxury a hydraulic lift!

I managed to get my rear diff level by crawling underneath with it on ground - remove the filler / level plug and top up until it trickles out - stick plug back in. Rear diff has no drain plug.

• 3 weeks later...
Couldn't agree more.

You can easily check levels BUT be careful you can't check the levels with the car jacked up at one end - you have to check them with the car level either off the ground (ie on stands and level) or better over a pit or if you have the luxury a hydraulic lift!

I managed to get my rear diff level by crawling underneath with it on ground - remove the filler / level plug and top up until it trickles out - stick plug back in. Rear diff has no drain plug.

If there's no drain plug do you suck the old stuff out or what?