Rear Jate rings

Having removed the Jate rings from the front since I can use the rings on the steering guard I want to fit them on the back but my chassis seems to be different from pictures I have seen. These show fitting the Jate rings where the tow ball supports come off but on mine (see image) these are sort of studs welded onto chassis.

I tried fitting the rings where there are holes to the rear of the tow ball support attachment but the mouth of the rings is about 10mm too wide so they sit very slack. Is it OK to pack out with washers so they sit tight or would this not be a clever idea. Equally is this particular point of fixing strong enough?

Thanks - Malcy

Edit - image not brill - the tow ball bits come from the bottom and I am referring to the smaller (10mm) holes on the chassis

post-3029-1204905494_thumb.jpg

To attach jate rings at the rear....you need to remove the lashing points (those eliptical shaped bits!), then the jate ring will sit on either side of the chassis rail at that point, and the really long bolt of the jates will go through the chassis using existing holes.

I took some pics of mine for you:

post-3030-1204906647_thumb.jpg

post-3030-1204906665_thumb.jpg

Thanks

That at least says I am looking at the right spot. Your Jates have slightly flexible sides and have clearly "taken up the slack", mine seem to be cast and will not bend in.

I think I will pack two or three washers either side and it should then tighten up nicely.

I just couldn't help wondering if I was in the wrong place since I remember a picture of western's where the tow ball attachments came off the same bit as the Jate.

Your Jates have slightly flexible sides

There was loads of play in the rings when I fitted them.....i mean, they were moving side to side by about half an inch, so i just kept on tightening, only noticed the sides had moved in a bit when i stood up! There is STILL loads of play in them.

To attach jate rings at the rear....you need to remove the lashing points (those eliptical shaped bits!), then the jate ring will sit on either side of the chassis rail at that point, and the really long bolt of the jates will go through the chassis using existing holes.

I took some pics of mine for you:

post-3030-1204906647_thumb.jpg

post-3030-1204906665_thumb.jpg

yours need a spacer, use the tiedown plates to get the sidebars straight.

Thanks

That at least says I am looking at the right spot. Your Jates have slightly flexible sides and have clearly "taken up the slack", mine seem to be cast and will not bend in.

I think I will pack two or three washers either side and it should then tighten up nicely.

I just couldn't help wondering if I was in the wrong place since I remember a picture of western's where the tow ball attachments came off the same bit as the Jate.

don't forget my truck is a 110CSW & yours is a 90, which have different tow hitch attachment points, Congrats on the M3 call too, just seen it.:D