Auto Gearboxes - how easy to fit?

Matt B

A mate of mine is interested in an autobox which is for sale on here. We need to know how difficult it is to fit to a 3.5 V8 in place of a 5 speed manual.

Could anybody advise me of the complexity re:

1 The mounting brackets

2 The interface with the engine

3 Any additional "plumbing"

4 Anything I've overlooked and will blindside us when we try to fit it.

I am happy with fabricating a linkage to the changer btw.

Thanks for any advice or guidance.

Matt

I put a Borg Warner 66 3 speed auto in my lightweight....it needed an extra oil cooler and a few extra pipes etc. The tunnel was modified slightly to accept the gearchanging stuff.

The Efi had a few mods done on the throttle linkage to accomodate the kick-down cable etc.

The gearbox mounts remained the same...but yours may not...I don't know what box you are fitting.

The front prop had to be lengthend slightly.

I'm sure there were some other bits and bobs but nothing major.

Mine was an 88 inch...so the drive train comparison is not the same as your mates.

Regards.

S.

I fitted the ZF to my 90 V8. Fairly straightforward - Best source of info would be to do a search as it has been discussed a few times and there is a wealth of info on there.

On my 90, I'd fitted the V8 to the LT77 so moved the engine mounts rearwards. When I came to fit the ZF, I used its standard mounts into the original holes in the chassis and moved the engine forward again. :blink:

Linkages for kick-down, oil cooler pipes and hedgehog, shifter are fairly straightforward.. Just make sure you get all of the bits before you start the job and clean the filters in the box before fitting it. You may also want to replace the clutch packs.