re auto box in a series

calvin

My wife is has become interested in having a 4wd for work as she works on a farm. The trouble is she is only licenced for an automatic. One option would be to sell the Series and get a RRC or old Disco auto but I want to keep the utility of the Series. Does anyone know of an auto box being fitted to a series? Ideally I would like to keep the series transfer box so I dont have to mess on with axles etc, so which box would be the best solution? I was planning to fit a 200tdi over the summer so ideally it would be compatible with this engine.

Any information or directions to information would be gratefully recieved.

Can your wife not get her licence updated? Long Term that would be the more adaptable solution, whatever her gearbox preference might be. I can't help but think that a big part of the charm of driving a Series motor is knowing what to do with all the gear levers.

The direct answer is that I don't know about putting an Auto box between a 200TDi and a Series transfer box.

I'd have thought auto to 200TDI would be 'not a problem', it's keeping the Series T box that might be more 'interesting', but I'll wait with interest to see what a Series familiar has to say about that.

Cheers.

I think it is a viable option to fit the autobox - certainly it has been done in the past.

If money is no objcetion then a good place to start would be ashcroft transmissions - they sort of started up by fitting autos into land rover products.

Do mention the idea to use the tdi at the same time.

The difficulty with fitting a manual 5 speed box from a discovery is that it is a lot longer than a series box - so to have the gear leaver in the same place the engine has to move forward.

The disco auto box may be the same, I don't know.

Mind you - moving the engine forward isn't impossible - you do have to do cutting and welding, I think.

Best of luck - I toyed with the idea of an auto - I do like using them, but the manula won it for me on simply because most people can manage a stick shift, whereas the auto wouldn't be familiar to most folk.

G.