Reliable source for Series Rovers in Restored/Modified Condition

blacklist

Having Defender fever and living in the USA are not good bedmates. I used to have dreams of making the ultimate Rover, looked into grey market options, and still couldn't sleep at night. After hours and hours pouring over the boards, I've realized what I want and what I can afford.

I want a Series III 109"

I will be restoring (or paying for someone to restore) a Series III. Its funny how I came to this conclusion. I drive mostly on the road, with lots of interstate driving (80mph), so I didn't consider the SIII - with its 2.25L 4banger - as an option for my daily driver. Since I don't have a garage full of tools, I can't feasibly build one from the ground up. I don't have the money for something from the big boys like ECR... you see where I am going with this. But then the pages on the engine swaps started popping up. Perkins replacements for the Series trucks. Mods and tweaks. Overdrive gears. If a Series truck had a little more oomph, I might go for that! No illegal imports, no DOT restrictions. Perfect. Researching engines, I've looked at everything Petrol (from the 2.25L to the 5.2L) and Diesel (200TDI, 300TDI) and even other brands (GM 6.2L, Chevy 302 V6, etc.) and I've weighed my options.

I want the Rover 3.9L V8 EFI mated to a R380 5-speed. Just under 200hp and over 200ft-lbs of torque. I believe it can drive on the highway now, don't you?

The body style... I love everything Rover, but there are things on a Series truck that I dislike cosmetically. 1) Recessed breakfast. 2) Split windscreen. 3) No roll down windows! 4)Lack of fender flares of any type. Yes, these things are all matter of opinion, but these things matter to me. The simple solution, I found through reading, was to bolt up Defender parts! Now, I can handle some nut-and-bolt work. All I need are the wings, bonnet, and breakfast (and their odds and sods) to make this Series truck sneer like all those 110's I've envied. Check. Next, the windscreen. After looking up details, the Defender windscreen fits just fine. It can't get any easier! Third are those windows, but with the way that most doors rust, I can just... swap on Defender 1-piece doors and adjust the door-catch to fit. Last, the fender flares. Such an easy addition and can be added in a few hours. This is starting to make me excited. But. What about the ROT and the RUST? Who wants leaf springs? Ah... the answer is in coilover Series chassis. There are many threads dedicated to this, and it definitely has helped. Brakes? Disc brake conversion, anybody? If I'm feeling really bold, there are even power-steering conversions.

What about that spartan interior? Since I love bare bones things, it is fitting. Simple. Functional. Minimalist. The few problems I ran into, such as where to mount the hi-fi and speakers, are easily solved with Defender trim pieces. A/C? Sourced from Defender parts. Alpine windows and sunroof/vent can be found in fiberglass form by LaSalle. The other bits sort of fall into place.

All of these things have me in a state of nirvana. When I came onto the scene seriously wanting to build a Rover (after admiring for years), I hadn't done all my homework. I just had mountains of questions. Thanks to the good people of the messageboards, I have my solutions and have configured my dream Rover for a lot less than that $120,000 ECR 110 Wagon.

Wait, wait, wait. Can't I get a NAS D90 for $30,000? Yes. Can I fit my entire life into the confines of a D90? ...HA! No way. Can I afford a NAS 110 (read: $50,000)? Not all at once. That's the beauty of the 109. Honestly, I'd be happy to buy someone's Series III that has restored the body condition and already done the engine conversion, drive it a while, swap out the front body panels, drive it for a few more years, and gradually build it up.

All of this because 110's are scarce as hen's teeth in the States. If anyone knows of a Series that has had a 3.9 EFI put in (other than builds on ECR) and is for sale, PM them my way.

Please, criticize me and give advice as you see fit. I am eager to see what the forumites think of my plan.

any reason why you cant import a 110 instead of a 109? You sound like youre going to essentially build a 110 on a series logbook? Dont know bout the law in the US but here that would require an extra test (SVA) to be legal? Finally, if you are planning to do that much work have a look at FridgeFreezers 109 on here and put some proper axles on it :lol:

Mike

I want a Series III 109"
Rover 3.9L V8 EFI

R380 5-speed

Defender front panel

Defender windscreen

Defender roof

Defender doors & windows

Defender wheel arches

Defender suspension

Defender brakes

Defender power steering

Defender dash trim

Defender A/C

Ship a defender from the UK?

Hell, if you've got any realistic budget, I'll build it and ship it for you.

Al.

It's too hard and costly to import a 110, and legally only a 1993 can be imported, then it must be brought up to NA spec. BUT, I do know of someone who imported parts from a bunch of suppliers, assembled the vehicle and was able to register it as a kit car. I don't think that it would be terribly cheap to modify a 109 the way you want to and have someone else do the work. In the end, I'd think you wouldn't be too far off the price of a 110. I may be wrong, but doesn't the fitting of a Defender windscreen also require a Defender top, and won't a 110 top not fit on a 109 tub?

It's too hard and costly to import a 110, and legally only a 1993 can be imported, then it must be brought up to NA spec.

So you can't import a 110, but you can import a 109 that has been modified so heavily that itis effectively a 110? Is that the way it works?

Are there any limitations to the acceptible modifications? Is it just the registration of a S3 you need? You'd have a hard time keeping that vehicle registered as a S3 in the UK anyway.

Al.

:)

So you can't import a 110, but you can import a 109 that has been modified so heavily that itis effectively a 110? Is that the way it works?

Are there any limitations to the acceptible modifications? Is it just the registration of a S3 you need? You'd have a hard time keeping that vehicle registered as a S3 in the UK anyway.

Al.

:)

I'm sure there are limits on modifications, probably mostly federal, but I imagine some state regs as well. No it really isn't legal to import a 110 with a 109 number plate. Some people have done it, but if you get caught, the truck gets destroyed on the spot and you get a very hefty fine. I don't know off hand what the limitations are, but since most states don't have anything like your MOT, it is easy to get away with stuff. Where I live, all I needed is one emissions test to get classic vehicle plates, then nothing ever again. I did get a VIN check when I first bought it since it came from another state, but they just checked the plate, not the frame or anything else. Land of the free! :P:lol::P:lol: I didn't even need to tell them about the VW Diesel I swapped in it, or the replacement frame.

Why don't you buy a late Series 109 Santana?

I have:

Rover 3.9L V8 EFI - No, 6 pot diesel, but there is space for you to drop in the V8 (I put a V8 in my series III, and it would be easier to drop one into the Santana)

R380 5-speed - I have a 5-speed gear box although I never use fifth - only to check it still works

Defender front panel - yes

Defender windscreen - yes

Defender roof - it's a Santana roof with double alpine lights

Defender doors & windows - sadly yes

Defender wheel arches - also sadly yes

Defender suspension - parabolics as factory-fitted, very recommended, also fitted with anti-roll bars

Defender brakes - disc brakes on the front (also factory-fitted)

Defender power steering - natch

Defender dash trim - yes

Defender A/C - can be fitted

There are far fewer adaptations to make to this vehicle for what you want. If you want a Series (you don't) buy one. If you want a Pretender, buy one. But as neither of these suit, this seems like your cheapest and easiest option. They are a bit thin on the ground but they are around. LHD as it is Spanish.

And most parts are interchangeable with SIII parts so therefore reasonably priced via the usual suspects.

There was also CKD Santana stuff in America Latina - which may be nearer/easer for you.