alternator light

That's a voltmeter, not an ammeter, but yes, it's charging the battery, if that reading is accurate.

muddy water and brush packs do not mix well. Assuming (dangerous, i know) you've got an A127 style alternator, removing the brush pack is straight forward and pretty quick.

That's a voltmeter, not an ammeter, but yes, it's charging the battery, if that reading is accurate.

muddy water and brush packs do not mix well. Assuming (dangerous, i know) you've got an A127 style alternator, removing the brush pack is straight forward and pretty quick.

its a standard 100amp from a 3.9 v8, can't see and numbers on it, the large brown wire is a post type terminal .

13.95v is a bit low but not that bad. First of all I would clean up all those cruddy connections on the back of the alt and see what that does. IIRC you need to remove the plastic end cap to access the brushes and regulator on a 100a alt like yours. The brushes (I think) are separate to the regulator. You may just get away with removing the brushes, and cleaning the slip rings with a meth moistened cloth and refitting the brushes. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY POSITIVE LEAD BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING THOUGH!

13.95v is a bit low but not that bad. First of all I would clean up all those cruddy connections on the back of the alt and see what that does. IIRC you need to remove the plastic end cap to access the brushes and regulator on a 100a alt like yours. The brushes (I think) are separate to the regulator. You may just get away with removing the brushes, and cleaning the slip rings with a meth moistened cloth and refitting the brushes. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY POSITIVE LEAD BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING THOUGH!

Will give that a try, its actually a bit cleaner than it looks in the pic but will give it a clean up as well.