VED Rates/polls and alike

Following todays budget and all the hype about increasing tax for so called 'Gas Guzzlers' it looks as though the rate on my '07 90 Hard Top has reduced from £180 to £120 as it is EU iV IIRC. :D and a 90 CSW producing the same emissions is £400 as it is taxed as a diesel car. . . Logical ?

It seems to good to be true or have I misread the DVLA website? :huh:

Guest WALFY

Ralph

I went on the DVLA site and found that info but on the news they showed different band cars and the prices. They quoted a gas guzzler as costing 440.

use the link above & then the new vehicle link, I just done it for a 2007 110 Defender SW & it said 300 for 12 months as it's euro4 compliant with the new transit engine. perhaps another band is coming in or their realigning the existing bands.

all I know is mine will be the same :D

.pdf below shows the rates as from 13th March 2008.

DG_067081.pdf

Guest diesel_jim
Ralph

I went on the DVLA site and found that info but on the news they showed different band cars and the prices. They quoted a gas guzzler as costing 440.

My Shogun should be £400......

but as it's a van, it's only £175!! :P:P even with the same 3.2 diesel.

Guest WALFY
Walfy,, your's and mine are now £400, where you got £440 from ???

The tax calculator looks to be on the old rates still

Now you know why mine was taxed last month :rolleyes: with the old one surrendered ;)

ITN news. Reporter did a comparison on the new rates. Kept saying people were trading their gas guzzler for for some euro box with no VED

This will apply to a lot of us. Do you want to pay £400 road tax on a 2001 car?

I have created a petition on the Govt Web Site.

It says:-

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Remove the

unfair and unjust retrospective Vehicle Execise Duty levy (back

to 2001 year vehicles) as announced in the Budget on 12/3/08

Announced in the budget on 12/3/08 were increases in Vehicle

Excise Duty (road tax). These announcements made scant

reference to the fact that they were RETROSPECTIVE and affect

all cars dating back to 2001.

Owning an older car and keeping it running is FAR more

environmentally friendly than scrapping it and manufacturing a

new one, no matter how much more efficient then new car is. The

manufacturing process creates huge amounts of CO2.

Owners of older cars do not have choice - potential purchasers

of new cars do.

This will seriously damage the second hand car market and the

leisure industry.

Cancel the retrospective taxation NOW.

You can view it and sign up at: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/UNFAIR-VED/

I hope most of you have enough in common with me to want to sign it. Please visit the link and sign up now.

Jon (Adiver)

Was just looking at the QLD website - A$272.05 for a four cylinder vehicle upto 4 tonnes...that's about £125!!! :o

Yeah but you have to buy CTP as well with the road tax, which is third party insurance.

My road tax (rego) last year was $460 , which is £209 in total.

And the CTP is the same for what ever ideal for off road trucks with loads of add ons :D

OH and NO mot needed here in Queensland , my 90 has been here for 2.5 years and has never been checked since it got here

Yeah but you have to buy CTP as well with the road tax, which is third party insurance.

My road tax (rego) last year was $460 , which is £209 in total.

And the CTP is the same for what ever ideal for off road trucks with loads of add ons :D

OH and NO mot needed here in Queensland , my 90 has been here for 2.5 years and has never been checked since it got here

Rub it in why don't you! :P

It's just a pity I don't fall into any of the job categories needed out in Australia...I think on the last check I only got points for my age and not having any dependents...poo!

Rub it in why don't you! :P

It's just a pity I don't fall into any of the job categories needed out in Australia...I think on the last check I only got points for my age and not having any dependents...poo!

They changed it again last year and let alot more in . Carpet fitters are now even on the list

All i would say,

Even if road tax went to £1k a year, and with every thing else about this country,

I would rather be here than Australia ,,no contest

No offend to the natives,, just the ex-pats who always think the grass is greener .

I and other could not care less if petrol is 2p a gallon, and it takes 5 days to drive to the shops or whatever

I may be wrong here...

But I thought the now £400ish top bracket (band G) only came into effect from March 2006, and we knew in advance.

So before this date even heavy polluters are in band F and the VED is noticably lower.

So before March 2006 the most you can pay is about £210 per year, no matter how much Co2 you pump out.

Even if road tax went to £1k a year, and with every thing else about this country,

I would rather be here than Australia ,,no contest

Well at £400 now i don't think you have long to wait for your wish :rolleyes:

Last time i bought road tax it was £180 a year and that was only 3 years ago for a 1991 200 Tdi 90 and 300 Tdi 90 (both same amout) seems to have gone up alot in three years

I may be wrong here...

But I thought the now £400ish top bracket (band G) only came into effect from March 2006, and we knew in advance.

So before this date even heavy polluters are in band F and the VED is noticably lower.

So before March 2006 the most you can pay is about £210 per year, no matter how much Co2 you pump out.

Top 90 I think you are correct. I have just had a look at the DVLA website and band G only applies to vehicles first registered on or after 23 March 2006. Budget day was 23 March 2006 IIRC so it is not retrospective. For vehicles registered between 1 January 2001 and 22 March 2006 the highest band is F which is currently £210.

Why do they make it so b***y complicated. Mind you from 2010 it gets even worse with 13 tax bands and a top rate of well over £400 plus the 'showroom tax' of £950 for the first year. :(