injector pump / timing

H all i have just fitted a new injector pump on a 300 tdi i used a timing kit to lock all the pulley wheels in place fitted the new pump and a new belt but noticed that it dose not start as fast as it did before from cold once warmed up its fine but runs lumpy and smokes when cold . I marked the pulley wheel on the pump before i removed it and fitted it back the same way on dose anyone have any suggestions please

Refer to this thread for timing information. On a 300TDi engine - putting the sprocket in the same place means nothing at all - the timing pin has to be in the pump and then the sprocket moved to take up any slack in the belt between the cam and injector pump sprocket. Tension the belt with the pin in the pump, but the three bolts slack, then tighten them. Rotate the crank twice, slacken the three bolts again and re-tension. Timing should then be as it left the factory.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=6943

Les.

The best is if you have access to a timing piezo ignition sensor. The one we have is made by Snap-on and senses the pulse through the injection pipe. We then mark the timing marks on the damper and the casing and check the timing using a petrol-type strobe light. We find the 'ignition' as set by the pins, etc is between 4-7 btdc, and we move it to 10btdc which is the best setting. More advance makes the engine knock badly. Less and the engine has less power.

unfortunately the piezo sensor costs a lot of money so can only be bought by a workshop where it will be used a lot.