What changes were made from Discovery Series 2 after 2002?

se7en.hu

Hey guys new to these forums, hows it going ? :P

Ok so since I rolled my 2005 Jeep Wrangler off a cliff while off roading one day, I am in need of a new car. I love the Land Rover Discovery Series 2, love how it looks, love that fact its diesel and gets 1200km/s to a tank, and well, pretty much everything about it.

What I need to know however, since I am uni student and dont have too much money to throw around, I wouldnt be able to get a 2004 model Discovery Series 2 (last model I think) because they cost too much, I also absolutely hate the Series 3. So I have been looking at the 2002 model TD5 5 Speed Manual which is in my price range, however, I would like to know what changes were made to the Series 2 from 2002 to 2004 ?

Is the headlights the only thing that was changed?

As if so, im just thinking I put the new style headlights into the 2002 model and it would look and perform like new? Right? :unsure:

Thanks guys.

Welcome :)

Sounds like a reasonable thing to do to a Jeep :D

Some interior trim is different, rear lights are slightly different, and the brakes were improved a bit on 03/04 models. Also the centre diff lock was reintroduced as an option. Can't think of much else.

I have an 02 and prefer the look of the old headlights, and you don't need a second mortgage if you break one!

Awesome thanks for your reply. :)

Nice to finally get an answer to this question. Been asking on other Land Rover Forums and it was almost useless. Glad I found this place, looks like it will be my new all things Land Rover home :P

So then it looks like I will be getting a 2002 model and putting the new headlights in :)

I am planning on modifying this Discovery later on anyway, with ARB Air Locking Diffs, OME Suspension, ARB Deluxe Winch Bullbar, Sidesteps, new tyres etc. so I dont think the Centre Diff Lock will bother me too much.

My dream is to get it looking like this by the end of the year or sooner :P

t_61.jpg

Also, one more thing, I am going to be replacing the stereo in it, because well I'm one you could consider a bit of an audiophile and I cant live with ****ty quality sound at home or in the car, hopefully I'll be able to get a Valve amp for the car (depending on price) etc. But anyway, I was just wondering what are the speaker sizes in the front and back doors? The 2002 model has the tweeters on the windscreen pillar too right?

Thanks heaps guys :P

1200kms to a tank of diesel ho ho :lol: i get between 400 and 450 miles to a tank depending on how its driven, which is no where near 1200kms.

I average 25mpg.

Facelift disco have nicer looking interior especially the ES version.

I have a 2001 ES and its a bit to beige.

Lynall

1200kms to a tank of diesel ho ho :lol: i get between 400 and 450 miles to a tank depending on how its driven, which is no where near 1200kms.

I average 25mpg.

Lynall

Well I know for sure that my dads Discovery 2002 model TD5 gets between 1000km/s & 1200km/s to a tank, just driving it normally. Once we actually drove up to Sydney (from Melbourne 800-ish km/s), drove it around sydney and then filled up half way back to Melbourne. Yours would be a V8 right? My cousin owns a V8 version and gets about 400km/s from a tank. :P

I think it depends on what sort of wireless you have fitted. Mine (02 'S' spec) has the 11 speaker highline system and while I don't have it here to check right now, I think there are 2 speakers in the A pillar, two in each front door (bass and mid - mid are smaller) 2 in each 2nd row door (again different sizes) and the sub in the rear door. These may well be different sizes to the units in standard four speaker model.

If you are planning on adding ARBs etc you will certainly want the centre difflock in before that - it can be retro-fitted to earlier vehicles but it needs the t/box pulled to bits on some and I believe the ABS/ETC does not work as well.

I average 25mpg.

Lynall

That equates to 38mpg !! You must have been really light on the pedal. Theoretically its possible, but its not a realistic basis for judging the fuel consumption of a possible new purchase.