Are HD Springs Enough for 235/85's

Mean Green

Well the title says it all really, I had a bit of a hairy moment today when the Rangie started to slide on a damp roundabout and have decided I urgently need to change the tyres.

I have a set of 235/85 Trac Edge on my Defender and the quickest and easiest option would be to swap them over to the RRC.

I have fitted one and jacked up each corner to check articulation and with a little adjustment to the front wing everything else looks ok - will it be ok?

The RR has HD spings, but is otherwise standard.

I think they will rub on standard rims too.

If you look behind the rear door (I'm assuming you have a 4 door :blink: ) there is a return lip on the wheel arch that is really good at slicing chunks off your nice new 235 x 85's (ask me how I know :angry: ). You will probably have to fold this flat with a pair of mole grips or similar for a fair way up the wheel arch.

Other than that, they'll probably rub on full stuff on the inner wheel arch.

Good luck!

I think they will rub on standard rims too.

If you look behind the rear door (I'm assuming you have a 4 door :blink: ) there is a return lip on the wheel arch that is really good at slicing chunks off your nice new 235 x 85's (ask me how I know :angry: ). You will probably have to fold this flat with a pair of mole grips or similar for a fair way up the wheel arch.

Other than that, they'll probably rub on full stuff on the inner wheel arch.

Good luck!

Hmmm ... might need to think about a body lift then. I think I would rather go down that route rather than buy a new set of tyres.

I have a set of 235/85 Trac Edge on my Defender and the quickest and easiest option would be to swap them over to the RRC.

Don't put the Trac Edges on if you are worried about sliding on roundabouts, been there & got the brown trousers to prove it :o

Great tyres as they were they were a pretty hard compound, bourne out by their longevity both on & off road. I managed to do a four wheel slide on a slightly damp summer road very nearly emossing the drivers door of a Granada with Range Rover (in reverse of course). :rolleyes: To be fair you could probably do that on most tyres and don't come sneaking red herrings in here until you have sorted the suspension out properly :P