brake help

hi all....im looking to you all for some advice really....i need confirmation in what i think i already know.....

so here are the symptoms...

driving along and you touch the brakes to stop and they are fine....peddle is nice n hard.

next time you brake the peddle drops half way down but still works fine although dropped more than normal. the warning light on the dash comes on to say excess peddle travel.

quick hit the brakes again and it could be fine for days again.

now if i pump the peddle and get really good pressure on it .....let it rise to the top again ....then very slowly push it down i can get the red light on but just doing it slowly :(

we have checked and replaced all pads and shoes. checked the fluid levels and bleed the system through....checked for leaks etc. so thinking now that its the master cylinder

anyone have any other idea's to check ?

any advice would be brilliant....no matter if you think " hmm he would of already done that "

the polt thickens. was told last night that it could be the servo unit. i can check it by putting my foot on the hard brake peddle and starting the engine. the peddle should drop when you start the engine...

that signifies that the servo is no good.

is this correct.

if so my servo is no good anymore as my peddle doesnt move :o

help and advice needed as i dont want to do a servo if i dont need to :unsure:

You should also check that the servo retains vaccuum. Switch the engine off and go and watch East Enders, then disconnect the pipe from the servo and it should hiss as the vaccuum is lost.

Check also for small bubbles rising in the master cylinder when the brake is pressed (you'll need someone else to that unless you have really long legs)

When you start the engine with your foot on the brake - it should drop about an inch and then once again go hard.

Les. :)

cool....thanks mate. i think i might have a combination of both ....

before i did the mac challenge i bleed the brakes through. they were better for a while i think....( warning light didnt come on all the time.....in 1000 miles it came on 3 times ). the fluid was nice and clean.

its now black again so i am gonna guess that the seals in the master cylinder are on their way to being mushy... :huh:

i have just tried my foot on the peddle and starting the engine but nothing happend. my foot didnt move. :angry: ...so possible a new servo needed too...

i have just ordered to brake aster cylinder seal kit from paddocks so will put that in next week and see what happens.

i know i dont have to use excsessive force when braking in the 110....no more than i did in the disco anyway....so maybe it will be ok just doing the master cylinder ..................

god i hope so :lol: