Fuel pump question

Hi all, following on from my running problems on my hybrid, I have noticed that I can hear my fuel pump buzzing in and out rather frequently and erratically, I take it it shouldnt be doing this, and should run constantly.

Anyone got any ideas as to why? I will have a look at some point over the following few days but just thought I would pick your brains.

Kind regards

Jonathan

when the facet pumps make a really fast noise , this is when there is very little fuel or just an air/fuel mix passing through it .

you should normally hear it pulse fairly rapidly when you first switch ignition on and then it should slow down and almost come to a stop or just a slow tick tick .

if it is pulsing rapidly all the time even at idle then you may have a float needle leaking fuel through into the manifold .

i cant remember if the stomberg or su carbs have actual floats and needles but the stromberg does have a cold start strip on the side of it with a bi metal strip in it which allows excess fuel in when carbs are cold .

i have had faulty facet pumps though and they can run intermittently , so in other words it may run ok for a minute or two and then fail, then pick up again trying to catch up .

they are cheap enough to replace readily so i guess you should buy a new rangey pump and fit one .

they are earthed through the pump body and so make sure you have a good chassis to pump connection .

on my old 2 door rangey i did find once that the wire in the centre of the pump got caught up between body and chassis when the suspension articulated very wide and the pump stopped working , i had to crowbar the chassis a bit to get the trapped wire out .

i think also that the pump may be wired using a bullet crimp connector close to the pump, so check this isnt corroded .

make sure you have plastic fuel lines and dont run them near the exhaust manifolds or anywhere they can pick up heat and then form an airlock .

i had similar problem in a series landy when i had fuel lines which were right next to the engine, they would get quite warm and the fuel would bubble , thus moving the fuel lines and fixing them along the inner wing stopped that .

if you have something like a holley carb on the v8 , then you need to reset the float and needle seat .

if its fuel injected with a high pressure pump in the tank , these pumps do often split and fail and run intermittently on and off .

check the fuel outlet and pipe from tank to fuel pump to make sure you havent got a worn away steel elbow or plastic pipe thats worn down and letting air in .

you wont necessarily see a leak from this pipe and because it is allways sucking fuel it will only have a vacuum leak which you wont be able to see any visible liquid leaks from .

Hi all, following on from my running problems on my hybrid, I have noticed that I can hear my fuel pump buzzing in and out rather frequently and erratically, I take it it shouldnt be doing this, and should run constantly.

Anyone got any ideas as to why? I will have a look at some point over the following few days but just thought I would pick your brains.

Kind regards

Jonathan

Kind regards

Jonathan

I had these symptoms with my 90 when i bought it,the previous owner had fitted a new facet and disconnected the fuel return , the pump was intermittently noisy as if sucking vapour, as mentioned above, and would occasionaly starve of fuel,just when you wanted it to,like pulling away from lights or halfway up a hill. The pump was fitted underneath the seatbox and the original fuel line from the pick up had never been shortened so it looped around the top of the tank and then dropped down near the chassis rail ( below the fuel level sometimes) and then up to the pump. A shortened fuel line with no u bends sorted it for me.

John

The pump is an in-tank one, that buzz's as its an EFI, sorry I should have mentioned this before, not an SU type that click fast to prime the carb then slow down considerably when running/ticking over.

As far as the noise or no-noise as in pump failing it will do it when sitting on the drive on tickover, no idea when she is being driven as its too noisy to tell, but my guess is that it will still be doing it and thus causing the running probs.

I will check relay's etc and try and run the pump direct and see if it does it then.

Jonathan

Well tonight I wired the pump direct and it still did it, so took out the pump, and had a look about. The only thing that I could see was that the neg wire crimp connector was loose, not completely but not the tightest either, tightened up, checked elsewhere, couldnt see anything obvious, refitted and replumbed, gave her a whirl, problem sorted. Went for a spin, and no probs ;)

All I need to do now is fit my newly acquired vac advance unit, set timing properly and find some hills and mud!

Kind regard

Jonathan