protection

SIMON64

Why not use webbing/strop for recovery?

Because they (by design - for lifting & tying down)) have zero stretch. You *can* use them for towing, but for a recovery (where people will often give a "snatch") they do not absorb any energy and can yank less than perfect recovery points off :o which is not a happy place to be.

I'm not saying point blank never use them, just that generally a rope with a bit of twang in it is a nicer prospect.

At the other end of the scale I'd advise against using a kinetic rope for safety reasons - unless you're very certain of everyone's recovery points, and sanity, they're a recipe for disaster.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a 10m kinetic recovery strap.

Bought from Peterboro last year, it is a brilliant piece of kit and under 20 quid.

At that length I can get a line on more stranded venicles and can always double it up for a shorter pull.

They aren't a tool for anyone who's new to offroad recovery, though DEANO - much better learn the ropes* with equipment that's less likely to kill someone if you do it wrong.

* - I'll get my coat... :lol: