Reverse gear problems

I've just fitted a new recon Lt77 gearbox, filled it with expensive difflock oil and gone for a short drive and I'm not to happy. 95% of the time I cannot engage reverse gear when stopped. It will engage if the landy is still rolling. The other gears are alright but notchy and noisy compared to the one I have just removed

Is there anything that I can do or adjust? I will also phone the supplier on Monday for there advice.

Thanks

probably the reverse light switch screwed in to far thereby preventing you engaging reverse.

undo the locknut, unscrew the switch 3 full turns, engage reverse,switch on ignition, screw switch in until the reverse lights illuminate, the turn the switch another 1/2 half a turn, retighten the locknut,

if that doesn't sort it it'll be the reverse gear plunger that needs readjustment. info below from Defender workshop manual :D

post-20-1206910381_thumb.jpg

Its not the light as I tried it without the switch in place and still no joy.

The reverse plunger on the new gear box is different from the one in your manual Western. It does not seem to be adjustable

plunger.jpg

I will check the old box later to see if it has a different plunger

Thanks

Its not the light as I tried it without the switch in place and still no joy.

The reverse plunger on the new gear box is different from the one in your manual Western. It does not seem to be adjustable

plunger.jpg

I will check the old box later to see if it has a different plunger

Thanks

Not being the exspert in these maters but I am puzled by what oil you put in youre box. My LT77 has automatic fluid, the thin red stuf, the tranfer box oil is thick stuff to suite the diff. Sorry if I have miss read this thread. :unsure:

Well the old box has the adjustable type plunger so I have tried that but it still does not seem to help. The only effect it has is making it easier or harder to go through the gate to reverse, but the gear still does not engage. I shall have another look when I have more time.

The oil I'm using Bigwood, is this

Difflock oil

Thanks again

That is pretty much what I am going to do. I need some welding done (again) at my local garage so they are going to have a quick look at the gearbox as well to see if its just something I'm missing or if its more serious. :(

Thanks for your help again folks