tyre and wheel sizes

m&mv80

They will fit but you will find that the sidewalls will bulge a bit, meaning that the tread may become rounded and you contact path decreases. So, you may need to run your tyres at a little lower pressure, or (depends on what you are doing with them) you can weld on the diy beadlocks (like I have) which will then increase the rim width to around 8.5", depending on the thickness of your sidewall.

HTH :)

Oops...wrong thread.

P.S - Didnt know you were local....wondering if i "know" you??

i dont recognise your 90 in your avatar but i have prob seen you around, are you a member of any local clubs? nice work on the d lander by the way :)

The 90 in my avatar was written off over a year ago, ive now got a green truck cab/cage/winch thing, and the D-Lander of course. I marshal up at matchams on a sunday but otherwise no clubs down here...yet, i shall be joining shires, and possibly mad freelanders if i replace the 90 (which i will do)

This is the 90 (currently for sale!!)

img2627smallhx2.jpg

The 90 in my avatar was written off over a year ago, ive now got a green truck cab/cage/winch thing, and the D-Lander of course. I marshal up at matchams on a sunday but otherwise no clubs down here...yet, i shall be joining shires, and possibly mad freelanders if i replace the 90 (which i will do)

i must have seen you around then, i live round the corner from martin (bullfrog) and go to matchams to, ill introduce myself next time im up there, im also a member of shire and sadlrc, look forward to seeing the d lander when its done, back on topic what do you think of the creepy crawlers then? i know you prob not driven on them but do they look like they will do the business?

Aaah, we have "met" before then, are you the one with the "90 inches of pure pleasure" sticker???

The creepys look like they will do the job, they are more aggressive than standard MT's with really deep tread and reports are good for sand mud and rock, so basically everything, like a normal MT but just a bit better!!! They drive nicely on the road, only driven it a few times but scared the life out of me, thankfully nothing to do with the tyres tho (more to do with body panels not being bolted on, and only having a rear prop making the front rear up when you plant it!)

so back to the origional question, can i fit 12.5 inch tyres to my 7 inch rims, i dont really want to buy new wheels but will if i have to, or maybe fitting a diy beadlock kit would be cheaper,

any ideas?

I fitted my 37x12.5x16 superswampers to 7" rims just as a test. They bulged too much for my liking and 35s would be even worse due to the smaller side walls.

I bought 8" rims and added DIY beadlocks to give 9.5" wide-ish. They fit MUCH better.

I'd say buy wider wheels or add beadlocks

I fitted my 37x12.5x16 superswampers to 7" rims just as a test. They bulged too much for my liking and 35s would be even worse due to the smaller side walls.

I bought 8" rims and added DIY beadlocks to give 9.5" wide-ish. They fit MUCH better.

I'd say buy wider wheels or add beadlocks

thanks, where did you get you beadlocks from?

you say they bulged, what would happen if i was to run them like this?

ps, i think we have met to, not through landrovers but through work

My beadlocks are Gary Andrews - based in Southampton, look him up on the forum

I think it's been mentioned above, but as the side walls bulge the tread curves. To counter act this you have to run a lower presure to flatten the tread. This in turn increases the chances of popping the outer bead off the rim, particularily as the side walls are pushing inwards as they reach the wheel on the narrow rims. I think 8" is the narrowest you can get away with and the beadlock adds about 1 1/2"

What business are you in? I'm Richard by the way!

richard, thanks for your help,

i work at a boatyard in poole that you have been to a few times, we pdc your boats ;) , i dont think we have not been properly introduced but i think you might know my brother who is the parts manager, thanks for the info on the beadlocks, did you weld them on yourself? was it easy enough to do? and are you running tubes? sorry for all the questions

i like your build by the way

rhys, thanks for your advice,

what are the fibre belts for exactly? also same as i said to richard, did you weld them yourself and are you running tubes?

do the inner rings fit inside the lip of the wheel to get them central or do you have to try and centre it yourself?

thanks to everyone for all the help so far

cheers

martin

Hi Martin,

The fibre belts are infact fan belts which are the exact size to fit inside the ring. These stop the rings being pulled in at an angle, applying increased stress on the bolts and possibly warping the rings. They also stop any mud or water getting in between the two rings and stop potential rust/corrosion etc.

I had a good friend weld the rings on, but it really isn't that difficult as long as you can produce a good penetrated weld.

The rings fit inside the wheel rim and what we did was grind down the edge of the beadlock ring to create a radius so the weld pool could run inside creating higher penetration and therefore an air tight weld.

Personally, I would recommend a beadlock kit which has the 32 bolt holes as more tension can be applied to the bead of the tyre giving a much tighter seal and it also means each bolt requires less torque. i.e, mine will have 5ft lbs torque at each bolt giving a total of 160ft lbs gripping the bead of the tyre.

Also, if you do end up running the beadlocks they will become great parteners with the maxxis cc, as running those tyres at low pressure will create a lot of grip because of their rock crawling nature, this is what they are designed to do :)

HTH

Rhys

Martin.

Here is a pic of the fibre belt in place :)

ah i see now, i was thinking they were being used for sealing something, thanks for that its been a great help, be good to see your wheels with some creepies fitted :D

That's a bit un-fair Martin, we're still roughly on topic.

Anyway,

I welded my beadlocks myself, used a 135amp mig for one and a 220 amp mig for the others. The one using the 135 amp leaks, the others are fine. I'm not an expert welder either.

The fibre belt is a good idea. Keeps all the crud out of the bead.

Mine have 16 bolts, torqued to 10lb/ft with no problems and no leaks. On my Landcruiser wheels they fit on top of the wheel and were centred by feel alone.