Is this head gasket failure

skywalker482

Hello all on forum nice to be here read some very informative threads.

I've just bought a series 3 ex military 109 2.25 petrol and am really hopeing engine's not a lemon.... Old gal is spot on except for the lump which is causing me to scratch my head....

She had been sat a while and there was thick mayo (water) in the oil filler cap which I put down to condensation. I cleaned this out and took her for a few long runs over the last few sunny days but it hasn't evaporated it's back just as bad!!!

I am not losing water/coolant and she isn't overheating, no bubbles in rad etc and no smoke at all from rear except the usual on start up, black with choke out and a bit of white under throttle when choke in but clears after 60 seconds down the road.

I'm not sure if this is linked but she has just started to drive really strangely like she is being starved of fuel. She gets up to 55 but on the way there she staggers and shakes like being pulled back, does this from cold and when hot....have checked all pipes for splits etc and cannot find any but it sounds really rough on tick over a sometimes when stopping at lights or junction she stalls..... Am changing the Plugs, Rotor arm, points, ht leads and doing an oil change this weekend to see if helps but any ideas would be really appreciated...

Many Thanks All

could you have water in the fuel?

thanks for the reply...

I'm not sure, (naive) how would water get into the fuel? I am running the standard military set up under seat twin long range tanks and cannot see any leaks from them. It is possible though as this does seem to have started after driving her daily in the horendous wet weather we had recently....

Any tips on how to find this out or is it a csae of draining the tanks and starting over?

Incidentally I have the same symptoms regardless of which tank I have selected.

Jamie

Guest mortus

diesel is lighter than water, so the water will be at the bottom of your tank, so if there was water in the tank, it shouldnt really be running much at all. if you have a compresser, take your fuel line off the engine and off the tank and blow it out, make sure no carp in the line. also change the fuel filter.

In army landrovers i believe there is an extra inline filter for the fuel so that they can deal with the cheaper diesel in other countrys, these often get blocked up.

From what you descibe its unlikely you have a head gasket failuer.

If you are not losing coolant then it cant be that , which is the cause of the ''mayo''

This is more likely due to the fact that its an ex mil and will have the oil cooler as well as normal rad.

The mayo is caused by condensation and the engine not being run hot, long enough that it burns off the condensate that forms in the engine and reacts with the oil.

The rough running is more likely the carb , see how you go with the ign overhaul, when you do the points check for operation of the mech adv/ retard in dizzy. dont forget to lightly oil .

Was the vehicle being used regularly, before you bought it? or was it stood.

HTSH

I used to cover the MOD cooler on my diesel with a bit of ally plate/bungee cord in the winter as the temp gauge showed that the oil was not even getting to 30*c with it uncovered. One covered it then almost matched the water temp when fully warmed up.