TD5 Seat problems

NeilTD5

Hi All,

I'm a new member, just signed up as I have just purchased (on Monday) a 2001 LR Td5 Auto. So Far we are really pleased with it - it's streets ahead of the 96 Mitsubishi Shogun it's replaced, and this has all the toys in a loverly Dark Green over Cream leather. Anyway - Hello all!!

I'm going to be spending most of my weekend cleaning it, feeding the leather etc etc, but I need to investigate a small problem first. The two electric front seats rock slightly when you sit in them, regardless of their position. If you grab them whilst sitting in the back, they rock a couple of mm, almost like it's not bolted down properly. I havent looked at it properly enough yet, but is this a common problem with them, and has anyone else fixed it?

Also, one other question is I thought that you could raise and lower the back end of the car using the button on the dash - but when I pressed the button whilst parked up, all that happened was a yellow warning light with direction arrows appeared on the panel. When I read the book it says that this is for off road use and is to automatically adjust the height all of the time (which I thought it did anyway). Have I got this wrong, or can't it be done?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Cheers

Neil.

Welcome :)

I think you can raise and lower the rear but you need to buy the optional remote control for doing this, I don't THINK you can do it from in the car... the button on the dash is to raise it to off road height.

Hi and welcome form a relative newbie myself.

The button on the dash to raise the suspension will only work when ALL the doors are closed.

Not long after I got my D2 I loaded it up with paving slabs and thought I would test the raised suspension, pressed the button and nothing happened :blink:

After a mad 10 minutes checking fuses, frantically pressing the button and taking a bit of weight out it occured to me that the back passenger door wasnt shut properly, slammed that shut, pressed it again and up it went :P

Matt

Welcome :)

I think you can raise and lower the rear but you need to buy the optional remote control for doing this, I don't THINK you can do it from in the car... the button on the dash is to raise it to off road height.

Thanks for the reply. I just went out for another play, and pressing the button on the dash causing a bonging sound and the light flash briefly - it doesnt appear that the car has raised at all. I think I need to read the owners manual a bit more.

The remote to lower the rear sounds like a good idea though - any idea how much they are? - Presumably they have to be coded to the car at the dealers?

Cheers

Neil.

Hi and welcome form a relative newbie myself.

The button on the dash to raise the suspension will only work when ALL the doors are closed.

Not long after I got my D2 I loaded it up with paving slabs and thought I would test the raised suspension, pressed the button and nothing happened :blink:

After a mad 10 minutes checking fuses, frantically pressing the button and taking a bit of weight out it occured to me that the back passenger door wasnt shut properly, slammed that shut, pressed it again and up it went :P

Matt

Ahh. Thinking about it, when I just tested it a minute ago the drivers door wasnt shut properly (I just pulled it to the first catch). - however, if there is no load in the rear, I'm guessing I wouldnt notice any difference? - I'm assuming it doesnt go any higher than `normal' ride height? right?

Ahh. Thinking about it, when I just tested it a minute ago the drivers door wasnt shut properly (I just pulled it to the first catch). - however, if there is no load in the rear, I'm guessing I wouldnt notice any difference? - I'm assuming it doesnt go any higher than `normal' ride height? right?

Best way to check is to wind down drivers window, make sure engine is on, lean into car and press the button until it bongs and the icon will flash. Watch it go up, I dont remember how far it goes but you can see it if you look around the wheelarch area. Once its up the lamp stays lit. Once its up it will stay there even if you open the door althought the door needs to be shut before it will lower back to normal height. Or leave it up until the next time you drive it, once over about 10mph it lowers itslef back to normal.

(yes it will go up even without any load in it)

I dont know how much the remotes are to lower the suspesion but I think buying the remote is only part of it, think they need programming

Matt

My seats have always had a little bit of play in them and have been the same for the last 3.5 years.

Remote about £80 ish then need programming on top so prob about £150 ish!

Engine running all doors shut push and hold button for a couple of seconds and it should go up, i exercise mine every now and then to keep it in fine fettle :rolleyes:

Lynall

Thanks all for the replies.

Unfortunately, things have taken a bit of a turn for the worse. Yesterday (5 days after picking it up) I got the apparantly `common' three amigos on light up on the dash, which looks like the general consensus is to get it run through some diags first before ripping the wheels apart.

To top it off, I just went out and tried Lynall's method to check the suspension, and guess what - that doesnt raise either. I'm hoping that it's a result of the Three amigos, but knowing my luck this weekend, it'll be screwed airbags or something more. :angry::angry:

Anyone got any experience of Woodside garage in bedfordshire?