Electric Short Through Handbrake Cable

hooflungdung?

I'm in the final stages of converting a Disco 1 200 Tdi into a Tracka Buggy and am doing the snaggings and prepping the thing for MOT. I tried to start it earlier and altho' it was a good charged battery there was just a bit of a clunk from the solenoid and then nothing. Tried a few more times and then happened to notice a bit of smoke from handbrake cable which was very hot to the touch.

There appears to be a live short which is passing from the gearbox to the chassis via the handbrake cable. I've had a bit of a check with the wiring and taken all the fuses out but still have the problem and can't seem to isolate it.

Friustrating thing is the vehicle has just been standing there for a few weeks and hasn't moved and was working fine and starting OK previously.

I also notice that the dipped headlight is very dim on the passenger side compared to the Drivers, I suspect that this is a separate problem but mention it just in case it's linked.

Any suggestions as to what the cause is and/or what to check next would be most welcome. I suspect that I'm going to have to have a look at the wiring to the solenoid/starter but can't get anywhere near it without removing the heatshield and/or the front exhaust section.

Thanks for any ideas.

Yip, sounds like it is earthing through the handbrake cable.

Put the lights on and put the handbrake on and off, if the light change in brightness you know that is the problem.

Earthing strap from gearbox pto bolts to the chassis is an easy way to sort it.