Clutch damper

ThreeSheds

Discovery 200tdi:

I am having a little trouble with my clutch - the pedal is low and it is a biatch to bleed.

In 'another place', someone mentioned that it may be worth replacing the clutch damper in these circumstances, and that started me wondering:

1. What does it do? I have read that it stops the 'hydraulic pulsations that result from a diesel at low revs' - but I done really understand why cyclical variations in angular speed should cause the clutch hydraulics to pulse...

2. How does it work? I wondered what it's like internally - I bet somebody has had one apart ;)

3. Can it be removed? I have a brake pipe flare tool and some copper pipe - could I just remove it from the circuit?

Cheers,

ThreeSheds

p.s. A little aside: Is it possible for a clutch slave cylinder to fail without leaking into the bell housing?

p.p.s. Have I just hijacked my own thread? :lol:

Have you tried pressure bleeding?

Yes - pressure bleeding is the only way that I got any pedal at all...

With my neighbour pumping and me underneath we were at it for about 15 minutes (ooh matron) with no effect (pedal still going all the way down)... I think that you have to be careful when pressure bleeding on a rectangular reservoir though - it bulges rather alarmingly (ooh matron II) :ph34r: