Another attempt at 4x4 bashing?

Ryan

I know it's late (or early), but I was just getting my last minute news update when I came across this article on the Reuters website:

Survey says car habit hard to give up

There is nothing in the text that mentions Land Rovers/4x4s/Chelsea Tractors/Gas-guzzlers etc, but they decide to highlight the story with a Range Rover outside Westminster.

Is it just me, or are people going to see this article and photo together and say "Oh it's those (insert inappropriate adjective) drivers, they're the ones using their (insert appropriate make/model of 4x4) to drive to the corner shop."

Just in case the photo gets changed before you see the article, it is a very prominent picture of a new shape Range Rover.

Edited to add: I'd expect it from the BBC, but I find that Reuters are usually very good. Why couldn't they just use a general congested traffic photo, which I would have thought editorially would highlight the problem better?

I see what you mean, I guess it could indeed be seen that way. Lets hope most people won't see it as "gas guzzlers driving 500 metres to buy the paper" :rolleyes:.

"We're encouraging people to get out of their cars to see Britain at its best by foot."

I like seeing Britain at it's best from the driver seat in my 90 :D, sort of more annoyed that it's decided that it's best to see Britain on foot, why? I can see just as much, if not more in the Land Rover than I can on foot (I'm higher up :D). Sadly I am able to see less and less from my Land Rover if the trend with Rights of Way continues as it is :(

Matt2

Guest diesel_jim
(in London) research showing just over a fifth of drivers would use their vehicles for trips of 500 metres and less

thats because in that 500 metres there's about 500 possibilities of being knifed or mugged by one of the low down scum/immigrants/druggies/gang members* so you're safer in the car!

* delete as neccesary

Back in JHQ in germany our troop would parade in the usual place and sometimes we would have a briefing about 400 meters away in the class rooms. To get there we would walk a straight line 400 meters up a one way road but the PTI (Physical training instructor) of all people would walk 40 meters in the wrong direction, get in his car then drive the 1000+ meters around the one way system to the class room. We always got there before him and would question why so..? He simply said "I didnt buy a car to then have to walk places.."

I think he is the type of person that artical is aimed at...

I see what you mean, I guess it could indeed be seen that way. Lets hope most people won't see it as "gas guzzlers driving 500 metres to buy the paper" :rolleyes:.

"We're encouraging people to get out of their cars to see Britain at its best by foot."

I like seeing Britain at it's best from the driver seat in my 90 :D, sort of more annoyed that it's decided that it's best to see Britain on foot, why? I can see just as much, if not more in the Land Rover than I can on foot (I'm higher up :D). Sadly I am able to see less and less from my Land Rover if the trend with Rights of Way continues as it is :(

Matt2

yes we may have lost one of are CCV sites because of the f*****g right to rome. the police are looking in to it today.