electrics

i have just changed my alternator on my 200tdi defender. went from 45A to 65A so i uprated the battery charge lead. all seemed ok. started the engine and at tick over it was working fine charging at 14.4 v. i was well chuffed so i took it for a run and about a mile down the road it began to splutter so i pulled over stopped then had a quick check of things and started it again. it ran for another half a mile and it did it again so i pulled over and stopped again. i then tried to restart it and got absoultly nothing no lights no hazards nothing electrical. is there a master relay or somthing like that i have blown? there were a couple of sparks that happened when i was fiddling about as i had left the old charging wires in but unconnected, bad idea i guess. any advice is much welcomed. thanks

There's no master relay.

There's no master fuse, apart from the earth and supply leads, these smoke and then catch fire to let you know there's excessive current travelling through them :P

As you've been fiddling, its highly likely to be something you've disturbed. the spluttering was probably the supply to the fuel cut-off solenoid being disrupted.

Time to get the multimeter out and see what's what.

the problen is that nothing al all works. noting on the ignition, the hazard warning lights, the side lights, the interior light, nothing at all so i was wondering what would be the first thing to check. the earths i guess?

i have just changed my alternator on my 200tdi defender. went from 45A to 65A so i uprated the battery charge lead. all seemed ok. started the engine and at tick over it was working fine charging at 14.4 v. i was well chuffed so i took it for a run and about a mile down the road it began to splutter so i pulled over stopped then had a quick check of things and started it again. it ran for another half a mile and it did it again so i pulled over and stopped again. i then tried to restart it and got absoultly nothing no lights no hazards nothing electrical. is there a master relay or somthing like that i have blown? there were a couple of sparks that happened when i was fiddling about as i had left the old charging wires in but unconnected, bad idea i guess. any advice is much welcomed. thanks

The fact that your asking this means that it aint caught fire ... which is a good start.

If nothing at all works then check that the battery post clamps are both on properly and havn't been tightened when not fully home.

Guest WALFY

I had this same problem back along. I rerouted the cables. As I drove the main batt cable fell on the exhaust and then took it's time but then melted through the plastic. Shorted out and KILLED the batt in about a second flat. Sorted the cable out and cost me a new batt.

Just a thought as you say you've been playing with the main cables