Mobile Storage Systems Store Caddy/Tuffy Cubby

Hello there :)

I'm after the dimensions (including the size of the cd part) of the Mobile Storage Systems Store Caddy cubby box - and some pictures of them fitted if you have any!

I've been looking at boxes as I want to house a CB in them, and want a secure solution. I've looked at the Tuffy Cubby Box but it seems that the unit is too big and I'd have to relocate the jack, hence why I'm interested in finding out the dimensions of the Store Caddy. I've e-mailed them, but they are busy people and haven't replied yet.

If anyone can help It'd be greatly appreciated :)

Hi,

I can't attach the dimension sketch, picture and price lists (probably out of date now) from when I bought mine since tey are in Word and Excel. If you PM me an e-mail address I'll forward them on.

If you go for the fully loaded you'll find the whole unit is longer than the OEM box (TD5 2005). This was only a problem for me as I had already installed a Mud Tray which would be overlapped by the cup holders in the cubby.

Since I have Mud Rails fitted my seats are higher up and sit further back so I built my own plinth to sit the cubby box on so it is further back and higher than the normal fitting.

I have a President Johnson II (with the front speaker) in the cb holder which required a bit of bodging to fill out the gaps. I bought a bag of 10 black nylon doorstops and trimmed them down as spacers between the cb sides and the sides of the radio holder (with new, longer bolts).

Let me know if you want more detail.

Had a go at saving the spec as a PDF and hey presto!

cubby_20box_20dimensions_202_1_.pdf

post-4905-1207597456_thumb.jpg

Below is the price list at 1st March 07

MOBILE STORAGE SYSTEMS - TEL. 01842 815179

ACCESSORIES

RETAIL PRICE LIST as at 01.03.07

ITEM RETAIL EXCLUDING V.A.T. @ 17.5% RETAIL INCLUDING V.A.T. @ 17.5%

12 VOLT 4-WAY SWITCHED EXTENSION SOCKET £7.66 £9.00

12 VOLT SOCKET - MARINE QUALITY £5.11 £6.00

12 VOLT STRIP LIGHT £5.06 £5.95

12 VOLT SURFACE MOUNTED SOCKET £5.32 £6.25

12 VOLT TWIN EXTENSION SOCKET £5.53 £6.50

ALUMINIUM TAX DISC HOLDER £8.51 £10.00

ANTI-LOOSE LATCH - STAINLESS £3.19 £3.75

BACKSEAT DRINK AND SNACK TRAY £4.89 £5.75

BACKSEAT ORGANISER £8.94 £10.50

BONNETT LATCH £4.68 £5.50

BOTTLE HOLDER £5.11 £6.00

BUNGEE - 1 METRE WITH HOOKS £1.70 £2.00

BUNGEE - ADJUSTABLE HOOK £0.38 £0.45

BUNGEE - OLIVE - PER METRE £0.64 £0.75

BUNGEE - WIRE HOOK £0.34 £0.40

CAM LOCK - as on Cubby Box £8.47 £9.95

CARGO NET - LARGE £7.66 £9.00

CARGO NET - MEDIUM £6.34 £7.45

CARGO NET - SMALL £4.89 £5.75

CD VISOR ORGANISER £4.47 £5.25

CHEQUER PLATE LOCK COVERS £10.64 £12.50

CHEQUER PLATE STAY COVER £12.98 £15.25

CHEQUER PLATE WIPER MOTOR COVERS £14.04 £16.50

CLEAT HOOKS £1.02 £1.20

COMPASS £9.15 £10.75

CONVENIENCE HOLDER £3.40 £4.00

CUBBY BOX LIGHT £4.00 £4.70

DELUX VISOR ORGANISER £4.47 £5.25

DIE-CAST LAND ROVERS £2.55 £3.00

DIGITAL CLOCK £5.11 £6.00

DRINK HOLDER £5.96 £7.00

DROP LOCK - as on Cooker Housing £8.30 £9.75

FIAMMA STOWAGE POCKET £8.17 £9.60

GROUNDSHEET PEG £0.21 £0.25

HAMMOCK CARGO NET - 1200 X 400MM £10.64 £12.50

KEYRING £2.34 £2.75

L.E.D. AWNING LIGHTS £21.28 £25.00

L.E.D. WORK LIGHT/TORCH £23.40 £27.50

LARGE BUNGEE £0.34 £0.40

LASHING RING £2.98 £3.50

MAGNETIC CATCH £0.98 £1.15

MEDIUM BUNGEE £0.30 £0.35

NET POCKETS - LARGE (BLACK) - 490 X 195MM £9.36 £11.00

NET POCKETS - SMALL (NAVY & BLACK) - 300 X 195MM £7.66 £9.00

PLASTIC BUNGEE CLIPS £0.38 £0.45

PLUGS & GROMMETS £0.21 £0.25

PUSH-LOCK - as on Disco Side Locker £4.26 £5.00

QUALITY KEYING £4.68 £5.50

RINGED TIE-DOWN - ZINC PLATED £2.34 £2.75

RINGED TIE-DOWN STAINLESS £5.11 £6.00

ROPING EYE - BLACK £2.77 £3.25

SMALL BUNGEE £0.26 £0.30

SMALL ROPING EYE - STAINLESS £1.91 £2.25

SPRING HOOK £1.28 £1.50

STAINLESS 4X4 TOW BAR BUMPER PLATE £7.87 £9.25

STAINLESS BUSINESS CARD HOLDER £3.83 £4.50

STAINLESS CLIPBOARD £7.87 £9.25

STAINLESS COASTER SET OF 6 £15.74 £18.50

STAINLESS ELECTRICAL ACCESSORY PLATE £2.55 £3.00

STAINLESS IN/OUT TRAY SET £26.38 £31.00

STAINLESS KEY RING/BOTTLE OPENER £2.55 £3.00

STAINLESS LETTER RACK £7.87 £9.25

STAINLESS LOCK - SMALL £27.23 £32.00

STAINLESS LOCK - LARGE £37.45 £44.00

STAINLESS MEMO BLOCK HOLDER £7.66 £9.00

STAINLESS PEN/PENCIL HOLDER £7.66 £9.00

STAINLESS PIN LATCH - marine quality £8.51 £10.00

STAINLESS TRAVEL MUG £5.11 £6.00

STAINLESS VALVE CAPS WITH LAND ROVER LOGO £5.96 £7.00

STAY £0.98 £1.15

SUNGLASS HOLDER £2.13 £2.50

TENT PEGS £0.38 £0.45

TERRY CLIPS £0.51 £0.60

TRUNK NET £9.57 £11.25

TWIN CUP HOLDER £6.80 £7.99

UNIVERSAL LED MAP READING LIGHT £7.02 £8.25

VISOR POCKER ORGANISER £2.55 £3.00

WALLETS £1.36 £1.60

WATERPROOF LOCK £23.40 £27.50

WINDOW VENT FOR DOGS £6.09 £7.15

WORX HAND CLEANER - 1LB £10.64 £12.50

WORX HAND CLEANER - 6.5OZ £5.53 £6.50

WORX HAND CLEANER - SACHET £0.85 £1.00

Not cheap but well built kit.

Steve you are an absolute star! I can't thank you enough :D

Do you think it would have fitted in OK normally, had you not had the MUD tray fitted? As when I measure it up it seems to come awfully close to the jack and it's quite hard to get out as it is!

I've asked them to price me the basic model, but with the drinks holders so hopefully it'll come in under £180 with the VAT!

I also looked at some CB's with front mounted speakers, decided in the end I'll probably go with a TTI-TCB 880 and extension speaker - half the features I'll never use but good to play with and I've heard good things about them! I'll also get the DIN mount kit with it, so I shouldn't have the same problem as you had trying to get one to fit in snugly :) out of interest is there any way to shut the lid on the CD compartment with the mic plugged in???

Again, thank you so much!

Steve you are an absolute star! I can't thank you enough :D

Do you think it would have fitted in OK normally, had you not had the MUD tray fitted? As when I measure it up it seems to come awfully close to the jack and it's quite hard to get out as it is!

Not sure what your setup is since you refer to the jack. I take it yours is a cab truck. The cup holders will come over the gear level gaiter a bit which shouldn't be a problem. Ther is plenty of scope to install in different positions (backwards and forwards and slo side to side a bit). The cup holders also detach if they get in the way.

I've asked them to price me the basic model, but with the drinks holders so hopefully it'll come in under £180 with the VAT!

I also looked at some CB's with front mounted speakers, decided in the end I'll probably go with a TTI-TCB 880 and extension speaker - half the features I'll never use but good to play with and I've heard good things about them! I'll also get the DIN mount kit with it, so I shouldn't have the same problem as you had trying to get one to fit in snugly :) out of interest is there any way to shut the lid on the CD compartment with the mic plugged in???

Since I bodged the CB fitting I could drop it down in the holder and by using a Mic extension lead run down beside the CB unit and out the bottom of the holder I can shut the lid and still use the CB.

post-4905-1207598775_thumb.jpg

post-4905-1207598825_thumb.jpg

Hope these are clear.

Cheers

Again, thank you so much!

Well I have an X-Tech Hard Top so I've got the bulkhead behind with the jack, and jack base attached to it. Mo, I could move it to the rear facing side of the bulkhead, but it would be on show and wouldn't look as neat.

I was hoping that the MSS cubby would be short enough to still allow access to the jack and base, but if I want the cubby I guess I'll have to loose them!

I was thinking of how to mount the CB mic, and you've just inspired me to do a similar set-up! I don't have the luxury of dipping headlights (don't know why they never put them on hard tops) but have a blanking plug there that would suit a CB mic plug very nicely indeed! Could screw the mic clip to the side of the cd panel as well then :)

Forgot to mention the CB Mic extension.

How about removing the bulkhead? You'd need to find another location for the jack but you would have more room to move. I don't know how tall you are but I'm 6'4" so the Mud Rails make all the difference.

Have thought about it but decided against it for the time being. I'm currently only 6ft but growing... I will invest in the mud rails though, as in the position I currently sit I could move the seat back a further 2 inches with the mud rails which would make a difference to the legs.

I've just had another thought (again from your inspiration) why don't I scrap the cup holders and just buy the basic MMS cubby, and buy a Mud tray which has 2 cup holders and some storage for bits? What is the tray like?

The tray doesn't look like it'd stick out as much as the cup holders on the front of the MMS cubby, so I could save a few inches and keep the jack where it is :) what do you think?

Smart move. The tray is well enough made (its a plastic moulding and not too expensive).

The benefit of this would be to have some power sockets installed in the tray. Then make up a lead with a plug/socket to connect these to the accessory fuse in the under dash fusebox.

The optional cubby box sockets are on the back of the box so not so accessible for you.

If you use Mud Rails you might want to raise the cubby box so the arm rest is at the right height. I used longer bolts (roof bolts with rounded heads) and some penny washers.

I've decided to go for the MUD tunnel tray now with the basic MMS cubby (minus cup holders). I went out and had a measure up, and the MSS cubby without the cup holders is only slightly larger than the standard cubby so I can keep the jack and jack stand where it is - although this may mean adjusting the new cubby to fit further forward.

It's a shame the lid of the MSS cubby doesn't have a positive shutting action like the Tuffy one, but I'm sure I can live with that :)

I now also know there is no point going for the DIN mount for the CB as it'll mean I won't be able to have the mic plugged in with the lid closed, so I'll have to find another way to mount it, maybe using longer bolts through the side of the CD section of the Cubby and into the CB. Does anyone know what type of thread the rig screws use?

Cheers all, Oz

I think the threads vary between M4 and M3.5.

As I mentioned I bought some cheap plastic doorstops and cut them down to fill the gaps between the cubby and the radio on each side. I used the cut-offs to stick to the top of the radio to stop it moving about in the casing. The longer screws (20mm I think) then fit through the slots in the cubby into the side of the radio (with a couple of washers).

I'll see if I can produce some pictures at the weekend.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...